6

The drive to the palace consisted of Alice dreaming about all the fun we would have, and me listening.

"Oh and one of us is going to marry the prince, and the other can be the maid of honour, and it's all going to be a fairytale" she gushes.

"We have arrived" the driver announced. Before I could even reach for the door handle, it's opened by a palace guard. Giving a sheepish smile I exit the car and straighten my dress. We had been given the same white dress to travel in. Realising Alice was already at the palace doors, I run to catch up wit her.

"Isn't this so exciting" she exclaims.

"I feel a bit sick if I'm honest" I counter following her steps into what must be the entry hall.

"Come on Alia, take that look off your face, you wouldn't want he prince to see you like that" she encourages.

"right" I mumble.

"Hello ladies" a woman greets from the end of the hall. "Follow me. I will take to the rest of th girls", she smiles.

About half an hour later I'm looking at myself in the mirror. They've already changed me. The elegant dress flows down to the floor and trails a couple of centimetres behind me. The soft blue compliments my skin tone as my hair is curled and swept to the side. While most girls have tiaras, I have flowers cascading through my raven hair. The sleeves of my dress drape over my shoulders revealing my collar bones. Looking around, I manage to spot Alice at the far side of the room, still being pampered. Deciding to wait till she's finished, I take a seat on one of the windowsills. Looking away from the hubbub of the cramped room, I gaze at the sunset. Wow with all the traveling the day has passed quicker than expected. Looking down over the grounds, I take in the gardens. Struck by their beauty a small gasp escapes my lips. Never had I seen so many flowers in one place. Flowers have always been considered a luxury we can not afford. But the beauty was astounding. Fiddling with my dress, I trace the embroidered pattern of filing flowers cascading does the bodice and skirt. The back of the dress was low, while the front of the bodice was modest, much to my relief. Even after the makeover I still stood out like a sore thumb. With the missing tiara, and flowing dress. Most of the girls either had tight fitting dresses, leaving nothing to the imagination, or massive ballgowns, making it increasingly difficult to move around the room.

"Hey", I turned and saw Alice smiling. Taking in her pastel pink sparkly ball gown, I smiled too.

"Wow you look amazing" I complimented taking in her pin straight hair and red lips.

"Oh shush, you're the one that looks stunning" she argued back. we both laughed and just as I was about to protest he woman from earlier spoke up.

"Ladies, it's good to see you have all freshened up after the long travel. I'm Olivia, as some of you may already know. now follow me and I will take you to your accommodation" she finishes and turns to leave.

"Well I guess we better follow".

Lying on my bed I think of how much my life has changed in just one day. Luckily, Alice was only a few doors down the corridor, so we wouldn't be too far away. But I'm still worried. I'm worried about Ellie, and how mother's treating her. I'm worried about what awaits me in the future. And I'm worried for my friendship with Alice. This selection has finally given her a purpose, and I didn't want to get in the way of that. Huffing, I sit up and walk to my balcony. Taking in the sweet aroma of the gardens, I try to rationalise my thoughts. It's all going to be alright. The prince will love Alice, of course he will. And I'll be happy for them. She'll let me bake their wedding cake and read books from the royal library like she promised. I'll be able to get Ellie out of that town and give her a better life. It will all work out. Leaning against the railing I see the sun slowly come up. Well I guess there's no point in trying to sleep. Picking up my long dress, which I hadn't gotten changed out of because I'm too lazy, I open my bedroom door listening for any noise. Hearing noting I decide to take a walk. Taking off my heals I throw them in my room and close the door.

Time for a bit of adventure.

After walking aimlessly for what was most possibly hours, I've decided I'm completely lost. Well done Alia! should have know this would happen with my uncanny talent of getting lost in my thoughts. Ugh. deciding to try and retrace my steps, I turn around and walk straight into a wall. Well that was impressive Alia, I laugh. rubbing my head I step away from the wall and keep waking, only to find myself in front of glass doors. Far too intrigued for my own good, I start to much them open only to hear my name being called.

"Lady Alia, we've been looking for you everywhere" the maid exclaimed a bit panicked. "Follow me, we must get you ready to meet the prince".