13

By the time dinner comes around my stomach has turned into some sort of growling, grumbling monster. I've really started to regret skipping lunch. I mean a girls gotta eat!

Sitting on Alice's bed, I watch as her maids rush around putting the finishing touches onto her outfit. Looking down at my own dress I smile. 

My maids had come to understand that big goofy dresses really weren't my thing, so they decided to make a selection of dresses made from light flowing material

My maids had come to understand that big goofy dresses really weren't my thing, so they decided to make a selection of dresses made from light flowing material. After some begging they even managed to make some simple dresses only to be worn when I'm alone. Even so I was over grateful at my new (more comfortable) options. 

"I'm ready" Alice cheers. "How do I look?", Alice turns to give me a full view of her outfit. 

"You look beautiful" I smile taking in her pink dress

"You look beautiful" I smile taking in her pink dress. Her hair is done in a small bun and a tiara lies perfectly onto of her head. 

"I never thought in  a million years I'd be able to wear something this beautiful" she sighs, turning to look at herself in the mirror. "We're so lucky". 

"Okay princess Alice, it's time to go I'm starving", to emphasis my point my stomach grumbles once again. 

"You really should have stayed for lunch it was delicious", Alice comments putting some perfume on. "Where did you go anyways?" she asks making my breath hitch. It's not like I could just casually tell her I was with Adam, I'm pretty sure that's against the best friend code or something. 

"Umm, I was looking for a new book to read" I quickly explain.

"You finished the other one already?" she questions, only half listening now. " You'll read every book in the royal library at this rate" she jokes. We made our way along the corridor and down the main stairs until we met the other girls outside of the dinning hall. Once we were all seated we waited for the royal family to arrive. "I'm so excited to se Prince Adam. I couldn't stop thinking about him all day. Do you think I've been on his mind?" Alice whispers to me. 

"Of course, you're were the princes first date he must feel something for you" I reply thinking over my words carefully and finding them to be true. "I wonder how our families are doing" I mumble, smoothing out my dress. 

"I know you're worried about Ellie, but my mum's looking out for her. How about we write a letter home tomorrow, then we'll know how everyones doing" She smiles trying to comfort me. I just hope my mum hadn't made my little sister quite school and get a job because I'm not there to give her my wages. I want Ellie to have a better life than I've had. That's part of the reason I'm here. A few weeks back when the queen read the book about the history go the selection on the report I remember there being compensation to the selected girls family. Hopefully it will be enough to satiate my mother. Before my mood is completely dragged down by my thoughts, the royal family makes their entrance into the main hall. Standing up at their presence, we wait for permission to sit. Once the royals are situated the kings nods to us allowing us to take our seats and dinner to be served. 

"Steak and potatoes, my favourite!" I hear a girl whisper across the table. Looking down at the plate served inform of me I start of with the potatoes as it's something familiar. As I take my first bite of the stake my eyes bulge out of my head. Alice must have agreed that the taste was amazing, as once I turned towards her she was wearing a huge smile. 

"This is so good" Alice whispers to me.

"I know. This could be my new favourite". 

The rest of dinner is spent almost in silence except from a few conversations help by the royal family and a couple girls gushing about how good the food is. I think we were all too busy stuffing pour faces to talk. As the staff took away our now empty plates the selected curtsied to the royals and made our way to our rooms. The food must have made everyone sleepy. I think I could sleep for days. 

Quickly saying goodnight to Alice, I made my way to my room and allowed my maids to help me get ready for bed. When my head hit the silky pillow my mind filled with dreams of the lake and warm brown eyes.