9

Walking down the twisting stairs, I take in the elegant decor

Walking down the twisting stairs, I take in the elegant decor. Each corridor is adorned with a new plethora of portraits. The smiling monarchs look so regal. I wonder where the portraits of Alice and Prince Adam will be? I just really hope everything work out between the two, I couldn't stand seeing Alice heartbroken.

"What are you thinking about?"Prince Adam brings me back from my thoughts. looking up into his forest green eyes , I can feel the heat creep up my neck. I guessed I'd zoned out.

"Just think about how much these shoes hurt" I laugh quickly forgetting about my previous train of thought. Abruptly stopping, I quickly slip my shoes off and fell the smooth carpet welcome my bare feet. The prince laughs at me as I place my heels near the entrance to the gardens. "I'll get them on the way back".

"You're quite intriguing" the prince comments as I follow the stone path.

"Is that so?" I throw him a look over my shoulder.

"I mean for one you have no shoes on" He point at my feet and I laugh. He's right about that one. "And then there's the fact that you're seemingly only here for your friend" he adds. I momentarily stop and turn towards him, before brushing past him and looking at the tulips. If he thinks he's going to get me to admit something he's wrong. Seeing I'm not going to add anything to the conversation he starts talking again, "There's also the fact that you never answered my question to why your here. Makes me wonder".

"Is that why you wanted to go on this walk with me?" I finally respond. I see the shock in his eyes and I'm satisfied.

"no- I didn't-" he stumbles over his words. So the prince isn't so perfect after all.

"What about you? How do you feel with 35 beautiful girls falling at your feet? Must be terrible your heighnes" I tease him, picking up my long skirt and walk backwards taking in his reaction.

"I never asked for this" He mumbles "I never even wanted a selection, it's all so... outdated. But you don't get much of an opportunity to date when you grow up in a palace" he kicks a rock. I never really thought about that. "So now I have the chance and I'm sure I'm going to mess it up", he laughs half heartedly.

"You can't be that bad, I mean half the girls are already in love with you after one conversation. That's pretty impressive", I joke hoping to lift his spirits.

"It's hard to understand women" he teases.

"We are very complicated beings, much more than men. My mother always said the way to a mans heart is through his stomach" I laugh. My mum used to be fun, before dad died.

"If that's the case you must have had all the men after you, once they sampled your cakes and tarts" he smiles coming into step with me.

"Quite the opposite actually. Hardly had time for boys and if I was interested, they were not", I remember having a crush on my neighbour Jack when I just started school. The word got around and he laughed at me. He ended up dating Alice for five years, she was devastated when they broke up.

"Well they are stupid" the prince says. I look at him him from the corner of my eye and see his cheeks redden, but I can't be sure.

"Umm.. thanks", we awkwardly keep walking down the path. After a few minutes I decide to break the silence "I know you haven't really gotten to know anyone properly yet, but have you got a favourite. I personally recommend Alice", I nudge his side and I'm rewarded with a laugh.

"is that so? we'll a few did stand out" he cryptically replies.

"Ooo do tell".

"Well aren't you part of the selection? wouldn't it be wrong to tell you how I feel about all the other girls and you?" he asks. I ponder on this for a minute.

"Okay let's not talk about dating" I decide sticking my hand out.

"Agreed" he shakes it.

"What was it like growing up in the castle?" I ask, genuinly interested.

"Well it consisted of lots of tutor and lessons and following my father into budget meetings. Not much time for fun" he admits. I guess it's not all the glitz and glam you assume. "What was it like growing up as a six".

"Well it's actually quite nice, compared to eights. I work at the factory everyday baking will Alice, most of the woman who work with us have been there all their life. I guess I thought that was my future too" I pause mid step. How things have changed."I have a younger sister who will be finishing school soon, which means she'll have to start working. I'm going to try and find her a job as a maid, something with less work hours than I have" .

"What were your work hours?" the prince asks.

"They had recently been put up to twelve hour shifts" I answer not really thinking anything of it.

"Twelve hours?" he sounds astounded.

"Well when the masters angry he puts up the hours, we still get paid the same as when we worked eight, but at least I've got a job", I quickly correct myself, " well I had a job. The pay is enough for our food and covers the electrics for the colder months as long as we don't use any during summer". Prince Adam doesn't seem to know what to say. "Don't fell bad" I insist. he looks up at me with a weird look. "I can tell you feel bad for me just by the look on your face. It's not all that bad. I have Alice to get me through the day and once I get home I have a roof over my head and a bed to sleep in. I have a lot more than others".

We continue walking and talking going through random topics. It's nice to have someone to talk to who's my age. I mean I've always had Alice, but she knows everything about me. It's nice for something different. After what feels like hours, I look up and see the stars. "Wow It's beautiful tonight" I gush pointing at the stars. Back home the solution in the air was always to thick to see the stars. But right now they shine so bight.

"Beautiful" I hear the prince whisper from behind me. I turn around and get caught in his eye, the hazel seems to sparkle in the moonlight and I seem to be unable to look away. I guess the prince feels the same way, as we stand there staring for quite sometime. Suddenly I become aware of the small distance between us and my face heats up. I cough to get rid of the awkwardness.

"I should umm, probably get to bed" I mumble as I start to make my way back towards the castle. "Goodnight" I call over my shoulder and run to my room completely forgetting about my discarded shoes.

All night I toss and turn, visions of brown eyes and stars plague my mind. Ugh this has to stop. Why do I feel all weird when I think of the prince? I need to get this under control or Alice might find out I have these weird feelings. I don't want her to think I have a crush or worse that I have actual feeling for the prince because that's impossible, Right?