Prologue: America

Guys… I got impatient… 
Expect updates twice a week, unless I get impatient again. As usual, I’m posting the prologue and chapter one to get you started.
Enjoy and try not to hate me too much (:

-theselectionseriesfan

I watch in slow motion as the blur of Maxon’s coat jumps in front of me, between the rebel with the gun and me. 

A tearing pain shoots through my chest, as I crumple to the ground struggling to breathe. I clutch my wound, blood already spilling out.

Screaming. So much screaming.

“Mer!” I look towards the voice and see Aspen running towards me. I feel myself getting lifted by him. 

“I can’t get you out of here right now. Rebels are blocking the closest exit,” he says into my ear as he moves. Aspen sets me under a table with a long tablecloth. “Stay here. I’ll be just outside. I’ll get you out of here the second I see an opening.”

I give him a weak nod, and his face disappears behind the tablecloth. I look down at my injury, breathing heavily. Tears stream down my face as I try to stop the bleeding with the edges of my dress, my hands now stained red. 

I briefly close my eyes, taking deep breaths. I feel so lightheaded and weak.

Where is Maxon? Is he still alive?

The tablecloth lifts up, causing my heart to leap. I have no energy left to scream.

“America!” I hear Maxon’s voice exclaim. 

“Max-” I stutter out. I gasp as a new shot of pain pricks me.

“Shhh. Don’t say anything, my love. Just listen to me,” he whispers, moving to help me. I then notice the tears in Maxon’s eyes.

“Break my heart. Break it a thousand times if you like. It was only ever yours to break anyways.” he says, his voice catching as he said the words. “I’ll love you until my very last breath. Every beat of my heart is yours. And I don’t want you to die without you knowing that.”

Tears in my eyes, I lean over to the best of my ability to kiss him. “I love… you… Maxon,” I gasp, giving him the tiniest of smiles.

“Don’t leave me, America. Please. D-don’t give up,” Maxon begs, his voice starting to shake as he clutches my hand. 

The tablecloth lifts once again. “We have to move now,” I hear Aspen say.

“T-take him,” I whisper. “Don’t take me. Take him.”

“No! I won’t allow it!” Maxon shouts.

“Aspen. M-make sure he lives. For me,” I struggle out, looking into his green eyes.

Aspen nods and begins grabbing Maxon.

“Take care of yourself, Aspen,” I whisper, and turn slightly to Maxon. “I love you. I will always be with you. No matter what.”

“America…”

That is all I hear until the world becomes very dark.