Chapter Nine: Maxon

“Maxon! How are you?” Nicoletta exclaims through the phone. “I’m so sorry to hear about your parents and America. It’s terrible what those rebels have done!” 

“Thank you, Nicoletta,” I sigh. “I’m doing as well as expected, but I have to get through it.”

“You are in a very tough situation, Maxon,” she says seriously. “What can I do to help you?”

“I have August Illea sitting next to me, as well as one of my trusted advisors. We have a preposition for you,” I say, nodding to August and Stavros.

“I’m listening.”

“First off, we would like to thank you immensely for the funds, Princess Nicoletta,” August says. “Without your help Maxon here would be dead.”

“I’m glad Italy could help you,” Nicoletta says softly. “I only wish the weapons we funded could have saved more.”

“We all wish that, your Highness,” Stavros replies solemnly.

“Am I correct in assuming that your country still supports the direction that Illea is going in?” I ask.

“If that direction is granting more freedom to your people, then definitely.”

I sigh in relief. “I’m glad. Just between us, we are currently working on a way to dissolve the castes.”

“Maxon! That’s wonderful news!” Nicoletta exclaims. “America would be overjoyed.”

I smile sadly. “I know she would. It was inspired by her, but I never got to tell her.”

“I’m so sorry, Maxon. But you can rest in peace knowing that she would have loved this.”

“Thank you, Nicoletta. But back to business, I’m going to be quite forward with you; is there a way that Italy can help us in any way? At this point we will take any help that we can get,” I state.

Nicoletta pauses for a moment, thinking. “I’m afraid that would have to be something that we would have to discuss with my Father, Maxon.”

“Understandable,” I sigh. “Do you by any chance know when he is free?”

“One moment,” she says and I hear her quickly talk to someone in rapid Italian. “He is currently in a meeting, but it should be finished in a few minutes,” she says. “If you can wait, we have some time to discuss things then.”

“Stavros?” I ask, looking at him.

“You have over an hour before your next appointment, Your Majesty,” he replies.

“Perfect. That will work Nicoletta,” I answer.

“Wonderful! Now, tell me Maxon, what are you going to do with the Selection?”

I sigh again. “It’s safe to say that my love life is on pause right now. There are more pressing matters.”

“I understand perfectly. You need time to heal, Maxon. Don’t forget that.”

I smile weakly. “I won’t Nicoletta. I won’t.”

“Oh! Father, King Maxon is on the phone, as well as one of his advisors and August Illea. He wishes to speak with you,” Nicoletta says suddenly.

“Maxon! My deepest condolences. You must be overwhelmed right now,” the Italian King says.

“Thank you, Sir,” I answer. “I thankfully have many trustworthy people beside me who are helping me out.”

“I’m glad. What can we do for you?”

“We are working to eradicate the Southern Rebels, with help from the Northern Rebels,” I explain. “I have a meeting tonight with New Asia to end the pointless war we have there, which will help with support from the people and manpower.”

“But you need some more help from us,” the King says.

“Yes, Sir,” I reply nervously. “Is there anything your country can do to help us? I understand if your resources are scarce and are unable-”

“Just one moment, Maxon,” the King says. “What kind of help are you needing? Financial? Human? Resources?”

“Mainly financial, but resources would also be welcome, Your Majesty,” August replies.

“I see,” the King answers slowly. “I’ll have to confirm with my Head of Finance, but I’m sure we would be able to give some more funds. Just not as much as before.”

I smile. “We will take what we can get, Sir. I can’t thank you enough for all that you have done.” 

“You’re welcome, Maxon. I just only wish for one thing in return.”

“Go on,” I press, exchanging glances with Stavros.

“As we have recently hinted to your Father, Maxon, Italy is interested in becoming allies with Illea. If you are interested, I would like to make that a reality in the near future.”

Stavros stares at me, wide eyed.

I pause. “If it were just up to me, I wouldn’t hesitate to sign an alliance between our countries, Sir. I’m afraid that this is something that I would need to discuss with all of my advisors.”

“I understand. How about we arrange a call between us and our advisors so we can come up with an agreement?”

“Of course. I’ll have someone send you details,” I answer immediately, taking notice that Stavros is quickly jotting things down on a pad of paper.

“Perfect. There is, however, one thing that may cause complications,” the King says, hesitating.

I sigh. “My future wife?”

“Yes. Although it pains me to say this, I’m afraid that some of my advisors will be hesitant to form an alliance with a country that is unstable at the moment. My intent isn’t to ask you to get married, Maxon, but you may want to consider that factor into the equation.”

“Thank you for the, er, warning, Sir,” I answer, balling my fists underneath my desk.

“We’ll keep in touch, Maxon,” the King states. “Take care.”

“Thank you. You as well,” I reply and the line goes dead.

I slump against my desk, bringing my hands to my face. What the hell was I going to do now?

“Stavros?” I call after a moment.

“Yes, Your Majesty?”

“Please get Aspen Leger here immediately. And while you’re at it, maybe arrange that he gets moved closer to here. I have a hunch that his services will be needed very frequently in the near future.”

“As you wish, Your Majesty,” he says, bowing and leaving August and I alone.

“Consider your next steps carefully, Maxon,” August whispers. “At some point you may have to make a sacrifice.”

“I feel like that’s all I’ve been doing recently,” I answer bitterly, tears in my eyes.

“I know Maxon,” August says, patting my shoulder. “That’s why you’re going to be a wonderful King. Don’t give up, we’ll get through this.”

Sorry, I forgot to post on Tuesday! Completely slipped my mind!

-theselectionseriesfan