Chapter Three: Maxon

Happy Birthday to Eadlyn and Ahren! Here is an extra chapter! :)

-theselectionseriesfan

“Your Majesty,” I hear Dr. Ashlar say quietly behind me. “It’s time.”

“I will always love you, America. No matter what. And I will always keep you in my heart,” I shakily whisper into her hand. I bend over and kiss her for one last time. A tear falls off onto her cheek and I carefully wipe it away, staring at her face. I commit it to memory and back away, my eyes on her until I can’t see her anymore.

As I step out of the room, I let out a ragged breath and wipe my eyes with my handkerchief. When I look up, a nurse quickly pulls me aside. 

“My condolences, Your Majesty,” she whispers sadly. “A guard wanted me to give this to you.” She hands me a letter, and I put it in my suit pocket, not bothering to look at it. I don’t need any pity.

She clears her throat. “If you’d like, you could visit your parents, or you could just slip out, Your Majesty.”

“I’ll visit them later,” I whisper. 

“Of course. Follow me to the back passageways, Your Majesty.”

I motion to the guard and follow the nurse through a set of backdoors. I’m grateful she’s doing this. I didn't think I could bear any more glances of sympathy. 

I probably look like a wreck. I sure felt like one.

After giving me a deep curtsey, she leaves me alone to walk the rest of the way with the guard. As I climb the sets of stairs, my thoughts drift back to America. I don’t notice that I have stopped moving until I hear the guard’s voice, it jarring me out of my trance. 

“Your Majesty?” he asks cautiously.

I stand up straighter. “How much longer?”

“Just a few more doors down, Your Majesty.”

I nod and resume my walking. My hand trembles as I reach for the door, pushing it open. The guard bows to me and leaves the room, not waiting for my instruction, not that I minded.

I numbly sit down on my bed, putting my head in my hands. Already I feel a growing hole in my heart. My life is incomplete without America in it. I hadn’t felt true happiness until I met her, and now she was gone.

-o-

I feel my dried tears on my face as I open my eyes. I shift in the bed and I hear a crackle of paper. I open my suit and pulled out the now crumpled sheet of paper. The note from the nurse.

I slowly unfolded the letter, attempting to flatten it. 

Your Majesty,

I heard about America, and I am extremely sorry. She loved you very much, you know? Within the last few weeks, I noticed she looked at you the way she used to look at me when we were dating, but it was deeper. I noticed more and more that she didn't love me anymore, and I noticed more and more that I didn't either. At least not in a romantic way.

When we were in Carolina, her older brother accused her of still being in a relationship with me. After that, she intended to tell you everything about our relationship. Based on the reaction that you gave in the hall, I imagine that she wasn't able to. But I want you to know that the relationship that America and I had was no longer. I have found love for another, and she had as well; you. 

I also want to clear some things up about what happened in the hallway. But I feel that is something that I need to tell you in person, when you are ready.

Please know that if you ever want to talk about anything, including her, I am available. 

I am so sorry about everything. 

Sincerely,
Aspen Leger

The feeling of emptiness returns, as I reread the note a second time. I realize then that what I need the most at the moment is a friend. I reach over to my nightstand and ring for my butler. I get out of bed and walk to my mirror, staring at my reflection, waiting for him. 

I was right before; I did look like a wreck.

I continue to look at the mirror until something in the reflection catches my eye. I turn and walked towards my wall of photos. I stare at America’s application photo, the picture of us from the photoshoot in the magazine, the picture of her and my mother. My breath hitches as I look at that picture, sadness filling me again. My hand slowly reaches up to touch it, but I stop when the door opens and my butler walks in and bows.

“Your Majesty. My condolences about your parents and all of the others lost.”

I nod and clear my throat. “Thank you. I need you to fetch Officer Aspen Leger from the hospital wing immediately. I am well aware that he has a severely injured leg, but please make arrangements to bring him up. I need to speak with him in private.”

“Of course, Your Majesty,” he whispers and bows. 

Majesty. That would take some getting used to. Every time someone says that to me, I expect Father or Mom to be behind me. 

I sigh and walk to my bathroom to splash water on my face. I need to look at least somewhat put together.

I run the water and take another look in the mirror and sigh. It’s hopeless. Why should I even bother? 

Walking back out of the bathroom, I move to straighten my sheets. Once smooth, I keep my palms resting on the bed as I stare blankly at the sheets. 

How the hell am I going to do all of this?