Chapter Two: Aspen

I watch anxiously as the door to Doctor Ashlar’s office flies open, and Maxon runs into the neighboring room. The door quickly closes behind him, and his guard moves to stand by it. 

What happened? If Maxon was running, that means he received really good news... Or really bad. 

As my anxiety rises, I spot a nurse walking by me, and I quickly signal for her.

“How can I help you, Officer?” she asks, walking over to me. She eyes my leg, and checks to make sure my bandages are alright.

“Please, tell me. Is Lady America going to live?” I whisper urgently.

“I'm afraid I can't disclose that information, Officer.”

“Please,” I beg. 

The nurse must have seen the desperation in my eyes. She sighs, looking around her for a moment before giving me a tiny shake of a head. I feel my heart drop and shatter. 

“Is there anything else?” she asks quietly. 

I nod, feeling numb. “Can I have a pen and some paper, please.”

“Of course, Officer.”

The nurse returns with the paper and a pen and goes to tend the person next to me. Trying to keep my tears at bay, I somehow manage to write legibly. I quickly sign my name on the sheet of paper and hand it to the nurse. “Please give this to His Majesty once he leaves the room,” I beg. The nurse pauses for a moment before nodding.

I turn towards the wall and close my eyes. 

Why America? She had such a life before her. Hell, she was going to become the princess of Illea! And Illea needed both her and Maxon on the throne. What was going to happen now?

I know this is a super short chapter, if you can even call it that. This won't be a constant, don't worry.

Also, thank you for the wonderful feedback so far!❤

-theselectionseriesfan