Chapter Sixteen: Maxon

Moonlight reflects off of the ring as I turn it between my fingers, laying in bed. I stare at the two jewels, what if scenarios running through my head. 

Would America still be living if I had proposed earlier? Would she have accepted? 

Would she have liked the ring?

The ring blurs as tears appear in my eyes again. Sighing, I return the ring to its box and close it. I put it back under my pillow and stare up at the ceiling as I wipe my eyes.

America would have loved seeing Marlee and Carter get pardoned, I think as I blink the tears away. She probably would have insisted on giving them a wedding present.

Should I give them a present? If so, what? Marlee and Carter are a simple couple, so they wouldn’t want anything too big… 

My mind wanders again, thinking about Marlee and Carter. They’ve gone through so much... and they are so happy. You can tell how much they love each other just by looking at them.

Will I ever find love like that again? Will I be forced to marry someone I don’t care for? Would they still accept me for all my flaws? I put my hands to my face, as I realize that I’ll have to explain my back to my new wife.

I let out a quiet humorless laugh. Damn you, Father. Always making things difficult, even from your grave.

Before I can stop it, my brain starts going through all my memories of my cannings. I clench my muscles as if I can still feel the lashes. And it all started with his damn affair, I think rolling over.

I suddenly shoot up from the bed. The affair! I have a half sister!

I quickly tear off the covers and jump out of bed. I begin pacing as my mind races.

Father is dead, which changes things, I realize. I don’t have to worry about punishment anymore.

I have to bring her here. She’s my sister, afterall. She’s all I have left.

-o-

I predictably don’t get any sleep. The entire night I was up, trying to figure out what I was going to do, which I did. To a certain extent.

I know I need help with this. There’s no way I can find an eight-year old girl who grew up without a dad in Angeles alone.

Standing outside of Aspen’s door, I quickly give a knock. I wait for a moment, but no one answers the door.

Where could he be?

I turn, almost running into a maid.

“Your Majesty!” she exclaims, curtseying. “I-I’m sorry, I didn’t see you-”

“I should be apologizing,” I interject. “I wasn’t looking where I was going.”

The maid blushes. “Are you looking for Officer Leger, Your Majesty?”

“I am, actually. Do you know where he is?”

The maid nods. “I saw him and Lucy walking in the gardens just now.”

I smile. “Perfect. Thank you!”

The maid gives me another curtsey and I quickly make my way to the stairs.

“Everything alright, Your Majesty?” A guard calls when he sees me running.

“Just need to be somewhere,” I shout over my shoulder.

I slow down once I reach the first floor, catching my breath. 

“I need to go out,” I tell the guards by the door to the gardens.

“But, Your Majesty-”

I give him a glare and he quickly shuts his mouth and nods. “Of course, Your Majesty. We’ll be right behind you, just in case.”

I roll my eyes, but allow the two guards to follow me. I feel myself relax when I feel the fresh air as I look around for Aspen and Lucy. Spotting them by a collection of small purple flowers, I quickly make my way towards them.

Lucy notices me first, sinking into a curtsey. Aspen soon follows, bowing his head.

I nod at them. “Hello Aspen, Lucy. Beautiful day, isn’t it?”

“Definitely,” Aspen agrees. “It’s nice to walk outdoors again.”

“How is that going? Walking, I mean.”

“Alright,” Aspen says, smiling at Lucy. “I’ve had some help.”

I smile. “How are you, Lucy? I’m sorry I wasn’t able to speak the other day, there was something I needed to get taken care of.”

“That’s alright, Your Majesty,” she says quietly. “I’m doing well.”

“Please, Maxon is fine.”

Her eyes widen, hesitating, before nodding.

“I don’t wish to intrude on your time together, but I need to speak to Aspen,” I say, remembering the reason I came. “Preferably in a place where we won’t be overheard.”

Aspens eyes widen a bit when he sees my serious expression. “Alright. Should we go to your office then?”

I nod. “That’s a good idea.”

“I need to gather my things anyways,” Lucy says. “I can do that as you chat.”

“Things?” I ask, raising an eyebrow at Aspen.

Aspen clears his throat as Lucy blushes. “I asked her to ‘move in” with me.”

I smile. “I see. Are your living quarters alright? Do you need a bigger space?”

Aspen laughs. “Maxon, we have more than enough space. The room you gave me is almost the size of my house back in Carolina.”

I nod. “Alright, if you say so. But please don’t hesitate to ask if you need anything.”

“We will, don’t worry,” Aspen replies.