Chapter 18

Once back at the hotel, Figg explained that there would be another activity that they had to get to in a little more than an hour. Until then, they were allowed to rest up, relax, get a bite to eat from the cafe, do whatever they wanted basically – as long as it was inside the hotel.

"I am actually really tired. I think I'm going to go and take a short nap. God knows what this next activity will have us do," Tia said to Aladdin and Vanessa.

"Oh come on, Tia!" Vanessa said. "Stay with me," she urged, hoping she could get her alone and make her spill the beans on what Elijah did. "We've barely spoken the whole trip!"

Tia eyed her. Why was she being so nice? She didn't think Vanessa liked her much.

"Uhh, no, I really don't feel like it. Maybe we can talk tonight, after the next activity," Tia suggested, desperate to get upstairs.

"We have to do homework tonight!" Vanessa reminded her, whining.

"Oh, you're right. I definitely have to get some rest now, then," Tia replied. "See you later?" With that, she walked to the elevator.

"How about you Elijah?" Aladdin asked him, as Vanessa stared after Tia, who was getting into the elevator, annoyed that she couldn't persuade her to stay.

"Umm. I actually have to make a call," he replied, suddenly remembering his mother.

"Oh, okay then. We'll see you later, I guess," Aladdin said. Elijah nodded.

"Yeah, see ya." He walked to the elevator also, hoping Tia would be in her room when he went up. He wasn't sure he could be bothered receiving angry, pointless stares from her.

It seemed like he was in luck, for she wasn't in the lounge room when he opened the door. He began walking to his room but noticed a strong breeze. The veranda door was open. He made his way over to it but stopped when he noticed Tia sitting at the table, staring straight ahead. He couldn't be sure if she'd heard him come in. Maybe she was asleep. In any case, he wasn't going to disturb her. He made his way to his room and, once inside, he dialled his mother's number. He couldn't believe he'd waited so long to call her.

"Hello?" a man's voice answered the phone.

"Uh, hi. Can I speak to Beth, please?" Elijah asked, confused. Where could she be?

"May I ask who's calling?" the man replied.

"Yeah, it's Elijah," he answered. "Her son," he quickly added, wanting his mother to know it was her son calling.

"Okay. One moment, please, Elijah," the man said, and Elijah heard the phone being put down. Why hadn't she answered the phone? He prayed she was okay. His hopes were deflated a little when he heard the same man on the phone again. "Uh, yes hello?" the man said. "Still there?"

"Yes, I'm still here. Where's my mum?" Elijah asked, almost angrily.

"Unfortunately, you won't be able to speak with her today," the man informed. Elijah's eyes widened.

"And why's that?" he questioned, impatient and worried.

"Oh, don't be worried. She just has to do a lot of check-ups. We have to make sure everything is in order. But she will be tired afterwards, so I suggest you call another day," the man explained. "Is that okay?"

"Oh, um, I guess," Elijah replied, thankful that nothing had happened to her. "Just one more thing before you hang up – I just wanted to make sure you were giving her my letter to read every morning," he added.

There was silence on the other line, worrying Elijah. They had to give her his letter. He didn't want to think of what might happen if they didn't. "Oh, uh, yes of course we are. Don't worry about that at all," the man finally replied. "Okay, is that all then? Okay goodbye," he said, not waiting for an answer.