Calvary Ch. 4 Death and Secrets

Calvary

Chapter4- Death and Secrets (Mors et Ostensio Secretorum)

The young man Elizabeth walked in with was recognizably a Roman soldier. He had notable features such as long black hair pulled into a neat ponytail, facial hair that was neatly trimmed, and green eyes that I could of swore I've seen before. I was in a trance. He was the one of the most handsome men that Elizabeth had brought in. I quickly snapped out of it when I remembered that he was wearing the attire of a Roman. I was also troubled at the fact he had a sword at his side. I didn't want to think about the quantity of lives this man must have taken. I just couldn't believe that Elizabeth brought a Roman Soldier into our home. Elizabeth slowly approached me, "Sarah, this is Darron." I refused to speak and remained silent. I slowly backed up then quickly ran out the door.

I ran out the door without looking back. My mind was clouded with confusion and anger. Jesus was nearby, "Good afternoon sister." I brushed past him without acknowledging him. Meanwhile at the house Elizabeth and Darron stood there in disbelief. "That couldn't have gone better..." Darron broke the silence looking defeated. Elizabeth pats Darron on the back, "Give her time, Sarah has had a difficult life and it's hard to get through to her which is why she had a hard time trying to find a husband." She continued, "I'm aware at the fact she hates Romans, but I know your spirit. You are what Sarah needs." Darron looks down and Elizabeth brought his chin up to meet her gaze, "But whatever you do, don't give up on her. Be persistent and create a routine that she will get used to and she will warm up to you when she notices that you are here to stay." Elizabeth looked stern for a moment, "But.... Expect hostility for the first couple weeks. I promise your efforts will be greatly rewarded Darron. Don't give up on her!"

As the days pass, Darron had gone out of his way to come and see me daily around lunch time. I was sitting eating lunch with Darron across from me. John came out of his room about to make his way to the Jordan river. "Oh, John don't fall in." I snickered. "Like I would!" John replies irritated as he stormed out the door. Jesus sighs, "Sarah please behave! I'm going with John, we'll be back in a few days, please lay off of him." I roll my eyes, "Whatever you say!" I continued to eat my lunch. Jesus waves goodbye and I sat there alone with Darron, not uttering a word to him. I got quite dark and I was surprised Darron was still around. I finally stood up and faced him, "I wonder, why are you so interested, why haven't you given up? Why day after day do you show up?" Darron stood up as well looking nervous, "Because.... I want to get to know you." I chuckled sarcastically, "I know about you Romans, all the same, ruthless, coldblooded killers, and the sexual appetite of a common roman man. Tell me, how many women have you slept with?" Darron looked me straight in the eyes, "None." He replied. I gave Darron a yeah right look, "So you're telling me, that you are a virgin?" Darron nodded slowly and exhaled, I used to be a guard for the Roman emperor Tiberius. He indulged in things such as fine wine and prostitutes. I had many verychances with beautiful women but refused it all as I wanted something different in life." Darron continued his story. "So, Tiberius sent me to Galilee and said I'd serve better here. He had also told me I was strange and that I didn't fit in with the other men." Darron moved close to me I could feel his body heat. It gave me goosebumps and I became nervous. Darron intensified his eye contact, "Sarah, what makes you think that I'm like other Romans?" I looked up and exhaled, "Only time will tell." I blew out the candle that had lit up the room that we were in and walked out leaving Darron alone in the dark room.

Days turn into weeks and Darron had a daily routine of visiting me. I didn't want to admit it, but I liked the routine, and the fact that I may have been warming up to Darron. Just maybe he was proving himself. One evening I was out running an errand for Elizabeth when Master Abraham paid a visit. He had some news to deliver. I arrived shortly after and was ecstatic to see Master. I went on and on about how my life was going and even about Darron. Abraham waited patiently until I was done. He had a sorrowful expression, "I came here to tell you that Ezekiel has died." I felt my heart drop. He continued, "He was executed for the attempted murder of a Roman soldier." I was praying that the murdered soldier wasn't Darron. Abraham looked disheartened, "Ezekiel's family just came by to pick up his body. He left behind his wife and 3-year-old little girl." I closed my eyes and sighed, "Where was he executed at?" Abraham pointed out the field that was north from the marketplace. "That's where they carry out crucifixions." I nodded and headed out.