4║Two to Ten

F O U R;

I loved naps. They were a rare treat in my household, so when you had the opportunity to shut your eyes for twenty minutes you took it.

That was the situation that I found myself in on Friday night. I had finished some homework and my parent's were still not home so I figured that I may as well use my time wisely and take a nap. Unfortunately, there came a point where you had to be woken up- and needless to say my wake up call that night wasn't the best.

*Bring, Bring*

"Can someone please get that?"

*Bring, Bring*

"Lillian, is that your phone?"

*Bring, Bring*

"No Jack, isn't that yours?"

*Bring, Bring*

"Nope, not mine. Maybe it's Zoe's? Zoe! Check your phone, sweetie."

*Bring, Bring*

"Zoe, if you don't answer your phone I'm going to come up there."

*Bring, Bring*

"ZOE!"

*Bring, Bri-*

"I've got it." I shot up in bed, my hand slamming down on my phone in an attempt to make it stop and inadvertently answering the phone call instead. I ran a hand through my hair in frustration before grabbing the already answered phone, "Hello?" I croaked into the speaker while rubbing a finger along the corner of my eyes in an attempt to get the sleep out of my eyes.

"Zoe? Where are you?" The man on the other end asked, I frowned-wondering why I hadn't thought to check the caller idea.

I rolled over in my bed and took a quick glance at the time on the clock; 8:17 at night. Had I really been sleeping that long? "Who is this?"

"It's Carter." I could tell by tone of his voice that he was frustrated, "You were supposed to be here over an hour ago."

"Oh God, I'm so sorry." I ran a hand across my forehead, wondering how I could have possibly forgotten. I had been stressed about this day since the incident in the classroom earlier that week. "I must have fallen asleep. Give me ten minutes and I'll be right over."

"Don't worry; I'm waiting in my car outside. Just be quick, we need to get at least some work done tonight." Before I had a chance to beg him to reschedule, he hung up.

Slowly I pulled myself out of my bed. Using my index finger and thumb, I pulled open the curtains, and sure enough his car was parked in the street outside of my house. "Son of a-"

"Language, Zoe. We raised you better than that." When I turned around my mother was standing in the doorway, her hands on her hips. "Who was that on the phone?"

"Carter; he's waiting outside for me." I groaned when the hair brush refused to run all of the way through my hair, getting caught on multiple knots along the way. I settled on throwing it up into a bun in hopes that would hide all of the knots.

I smoothed out the wrinkles in my sweater, trying to make it look like I hadn't just been drooling all over my pillow moments earlier. "Oh, so you two are friends again?" Mum asked hesitantly, still leaning against the doorway.

"No, we got partnered together for a project and we need to work on it. I'll be back in an hour or two." I said, finally semi-okay with my appearance. "Can you leave the door unlocked?"

"Of course," She said with a small smile on her face. Mum tucked a strand of loose hair behind my hair when I came to stand in front of her, "Have fun, honey."