Fireflies (Nightmare x Reader)

Nightmare will be in his passive form for this oneshot.
Thank you and enjoy.

It was nighttime when you left the house. Backpack on your back and a pencil in your hand. You were on a mission.

Closing the door behind you as silently as you could, you headed for the forest.
The forest you were headed to was no ordinary forest, no, it was said a couple of magical beings lived there, guarding some kind of treasure.

You were a very curious person so when you had a chance to go check it out yourself, naturally you took it.
Your parents had left on a business trip for a week and they had left your uncle in charge of you. Good thing he was an extremely heavy sleeper.

Your mission:
1. Find out why everyone was too scared to go near that forest.
2. Hopefully, find out what the magical being are and
3. Find out what they guard.

Side missions included:
Drawing a good picture of the night sky in your sketch pad.
Collect some fireflies in your wish jar.
Make friends with the magical entities.

That last one was gonna be tough, but you wanted to do it none the less. With one final check though your mental list, you were off.

On your way there you looked up at the night sky. You always did admire the vast looking expanse that was space. The only reason you never really studied anything like astronomy was because you liked the mystery it had. You liked being able to look at all the stars and just wonder.

Blinking a few times you refocused on the path ahead of you. Not far from the forest now. You slowed down and took a look around. Next to the forest was an open field like area. The grass was kept kind of lengthy and it shimmered in the moonlight as the wind blew through it.

About to resume you mission into the forest, a small light cought your attention from the corner of your eye.
A firefly.

As if taking that single firefly as a signal, several more flickering lights rise up from the grass. Quickly taking off your backpack you set it on the ground, open it up, and quickly take out your jar. The Wishing Jar.
Might as well complete this side mission.

You make sure that your bag is going to be ok where you left it and pocket the pencil you still had in your grasp. You were ready to catch some fireflies.
Keeping your steps light and quick you start your hunting.

You selected a firefly and you followed after it. Once you saw it land you took this chance and cupped it in your hands. Bringing your hands up to your face you took a peek to see that you really did catch it. Happily, you walked over to where you left the open jar and put the glowing bug inside, setting the lid on top before going back out and repeating the same process a few more times.

One side mission complete.

Carefully setting the jar back into your bag, you continued on your journey.
Your attention, again and again was grabbed at any interesting sight or sound. You wonder why you didn't do this more often. Your thoughts suddenly went silent though as soon as you set foot in the forest.

Gone were the occasional hoots of owls and the moonlight was slightly blotted out by the thick branches overhead. The atmosphere was chilling and you actually felt slightly scared.

You pushed on though, you had a mission and you were going to complete it. Walking on, you kept your eyes and ears open for anything dangerous, the air around you only getting colder.

Snap

You froze and looked around, the snap followed by the sound of rustling leaves. Before you could investigate or run away in fear, it stopped. Silence consumed the area around you and you took this time to breathe.