Chapter Nine

Izuku had been avoiding him.

Shoto could tell by the way the greenhead jumps in surprise whenever he would greet him by the halls, or the way he would evade eye contact whenever he and the others would hang out to talk after his daily routines, or how he intentionally slows down his task so he'd a find an excuse to avoid them.

"Maybe you did something that offended him?" Momo told him one time when he tried to ask her what could the problem be while they stood at the balcony.

"I don't know," Shoto said then sighed in frustration as he glared at the horizon-- today his favorite view looked less pleasing to him and seem to agitate him even more rather than calm him down. "I don't think I did anything wrong though, I mean... we were just okay a few days before then he started to take his distance..."

Momo made a noise and Shoto saw that he was trying to suppress her laughter. "What's so funny?" Shoto asked, irritated.

"Nothing..." Momo said then took a few deep breaths to compose herself. "Sorry, it's just... you sound like a girl having problems with her boyfriend, I couldn't..."

Shoto rolled his eyes as Momo started to suppress her giggles once more. "Well he's not mine to start off, so..." he mumbled and Momo smiled, resting a hand on his shoulder comfortingly.

"Well on the bright side, he isn't owned by anyone either," she said. "At least you could make a move, or just let him run around the kingdom until someone takes a liking to the oddly beautiful greenhead and lose him forever,"

Shoto chuckled. "You don't mince words, do you?"

"Nope," Momo said with a cheeky smile. "And you better make your move or else I will. Izuku is cute, I like guys like him..."

"You are not stealing him from me,"

"He isn't yours,"

"I'll make him mine,"

Silence welcomed them as Shoto realized what he said and Momo had burst into laughter when Shoto's face heated up from embarrassment. "Gods, Momo! You're making me say funny things...!" he said as he tried to calm himself down but smiled and pulled Momo into a hug. "But thank you..."

Momo's laugh reduced into a smile as she hugged Shoto back. Ever since they were a child she had seen Shoto do things that amazed her-- things that a normal child wouldn't even think of doing. And as her friend, all she wanted to be was for him to be happy, even it meant bending the rules of their kingdom and falling in love with a foreigner like Izuku.

She had seen the way Shoto looked at Izuku, had seen the way he smiled whenever he was with the greenhead and had seen the twinkle in his eyes whenever Izuku was mentioned. For a long time, he had never seen Shoto that happy and she didn't want to lose that smile.

A movement caught her eye and she saw Izuku standing by the doorway, eyes averted and his hands clasped behind his back. Beside him, was Eiji who looked like he didn't want to destroy the brother-sister moment she and Shoto were having.

Shoto felt Momo stiffen and finally saw their little audience-- his eyes especially focused on the greenhead who refused to meet his eyes. Why is he making that kind of expression...?

"You two looked like you were having a moment that I couldn't interrupt," Eiji joked and Shoto didn't miss how Izuku had bit his lip.

"What is it?" Shoto asked, all seriousness in his voice.

"Sorry, but... his highness is looking for you," Eiji said, "He said it has something to do with the Shiketsu kingdom,"

Upon hearing that place's name, Shoto immediately knew that his father wanted to talk about something serious. Yuei and Shiketsu have been having a silent war going on in between them, both kingdoms and rulers have just been too wise to start any battle as they knew they were in par with each other when it comes to strength. However, despite the numerous peace treaties they had-- they just couldn't find a way to unite with each other especially since his father and Shiketsu's new king hated each other's guts.