Phenomenal: Fourteen

Day 32 out of hospital

Yesterday was a busy day. We're done with the lawn decoration, with Shane climbing the roof to set up the cardboard witch and broom which I spent an entire day making. We have a witch flying on the roof theme going on. We got a thumbs down from Mom for our initial plan of bloodbath, said it's too messy.

We also have those pumpkin lights thing in the garden which Iñigo helped to set, and some random bones hanging and sticking out of Mamala's bushes. All in all, it looks like a proper Halloween decorated lawn. But you should have seen Shane's house. It became a literal haunted house, complete with tiny moving makeshift train, made out of carts for children. Shane's dad's workers set it up. The congressman has like a dozen people working for him.

Because of the activities, I woke up tired this morning. My joints swells and there's a persistent ache on my back and had a hard time getting out of bed. I was used to the pain, or the lack of rest my body feels. It's like no matter how much rest I get, it isn't always enough. I often wake up and sit at the foot of the bed to stare in space like that meme of a fox sitting in bed.

I also surveyed my skin for new bruises. It's like a habit, scanning my skin for unknown bruises from the simple contacts of the day before. Sometimes I don't mind their appearance because they're always there, popping out of nowhere and leaving after a few days. Sometimes they appear on places I couldn't hide like my hands, knuckles, or the inside of my palms or on my foot or arms. That's when it gets annoying because I always see them, and they have the ability to remind me of what I've got.

But today, I don't have to mind them because I'm gonna be busy again. I'd be searching for a vintage dress from Mamala's things because Shane and I finally agreed to a costume. Well, not completely agreed, more on he was forced to choose between being an alien or being a vampire, and he thinks if he choose the alien one he might be risking for a skin tight outfit and that terrorized him. I couldn't blame him. That's exactly my plan.

So we agreed on the vampire theme. Me, an ethereal vampire mistress living in my abandoned castle on top of the hill surrounded by vineyards. That's the look I would aim for. For Shane, who believes vampire costumes only consist of fake fangs and pale skin, I need to educate him about classy, tuxedo-wearing, blood-sucking gentlemen so I made him watch a classic vampire movie for the first time. Yes, the first time! The audacity of him. We watched it together last night through video call.

So yeah, that's the peg. Ah, classic. And that's why, I, Gabriel, have to wake up early today to check on the basement for some vintage finds. Let's say we're going thrift shopping with no budget. I should make a vlog, right? I have so many ideas.

I was humming my way in the living room, going to the kitchen to ask Mamala where she had put the good stuff she mentioned yesterday when I passed by my Mom at the front door on her way to work. She's checking her hair on the foyer mirror while holding her phone against her ear with one hand.

"Fourteen business days?" she exclaimed, clearly exasperated so early in the morning. It's not even eight. "I know it's a protocol. But can you rush the send off of the blood test? Kung hindi, ako nalang ang pupunta sa Makati."

She finally noticed that I was watching her. She took a deep breath because I motioned for her to do so, and proceed to talk calmer on the phone. "Okay, thanks. Please do update me."

Humarap siya sa'kin at bumuntong hininga. "About my test?" tanong ko, referring to the several tests I had taken when we visited the hospital for my last cycle.

"Gabriela."

Lumapit siya sa'kin and her, using my whole name, makes me a little uneasy.

"I'm okay," I said, to cut her off. "I don't feel anything strange. Just a few usual aches. I feel okay."