Phenomenal: Twenty Four

Day 17 back in the hospital

Cheska visited me in the hospital this afternoon. She came knocking at the door with a bouquet of pink roses in one hand. She's this really pretty, dark haired girl with see through bangs and one of my best group mates in a project in film school.

"Sorry it took me this long para bisitahin ka." She sat on the sofa, still holding the pink flowers. "I didn't exactly know what had happened after you decided to drop out of your classes last semester."

"Well, this is what's happening," I told her, smiling, with a nonchalant voice, raising my hands to show my state. I didn't told them much about my health, only those former classmates in high school knows about my condition.

I inhaled deeply, sitting at the foot of my bed with my feet reaching the floor while I face Cheska. "Ches, I'm actually not going to live long," I started.

There's a bit of surprise on her face. "Gabriela..."

I smiled, showing it's fine. "I know it would be too much to ask you this but... please take care of Shane for me. He's a special person and I don't want him to get hurt. He's just confused right now because he's trying to be here for me like he always do."

"Gabriela," Cheska cut me off. "Shane and I broke up a year ago."

Natulala ako sa sinabi niya. All my words slowly faded. "What?"

"Remember our first break-up? We never got back together."

"But how?" naguluhan na tanong ko. "He just told me recently."

Cheska tried to smile, holding tightly on the paper cover of the bouquet. "It didn't really work out, you know. I know Shane was trying his best. He's a great guy."

There's a quiver in her voice and I know she's still in love with him. "Shane was the best thing that happened to me after a series of abusive and toxic relationship. But... it's just different with me and when it comes to you."

She pursed her lips and blinked back a few times. "But now I know. You're a good person, Gabriela, ever since. If what Shane's going through happens to me, I would do the same thing and chose my best friend."

She carefully placed the flowers on the table. "But before all of this even happens, he already chose you."

It was late evening. I was sitting cross legged on the crumpled sheets, staring at my phone for the last fifteen minutes.

Silence had settled down in the hospital. Tapos na ang lahat ng kailangan kong gawin. I had dinner, wore fresh pajamas, taken my medicines. I did everything to buy time, courage, or whatever it is I lack to talk to him again.

I finally tap the video call button.

My heart nearly stop when he answered the call. Nasa madilim siyang kwarto at mukhang nagising ko siya. Umupo siya at naghikab bago tinignan nang maayos ang phone niya.

"Gab?"

My lips pulled at the corners to smile. "Hey." I miss his stupid voice.

Parang hindi pa siya makapaniwala na ako ang tumatawag sa kanya. Pupungas-pungas siya na tumayo at naglakad dala ang phone niya. Lumabas siya and it's like he's in a dimly lit open space.

"Are you okay?"

It's very Shane of him to ask if I'm okay kahit ako ang may kasalanan kung bakit hindi kami naguusap.

"Shane?"

"Yes?" He said abruptly.

I watched his face, even in a pixelated image of him I could feel the tiredness in his eyes, sleepless from those nights he's been driving nonstop just to be here, his chin with a light sprinkle of stubble.

"Shane, are you choosing me because I'm Gabriel... or because I'm sick?"

He blinked, wondering if he heard my words right. He's standing at a porch with the light behind him. Then he runs his fingers through his hair and breathe out.

"Gabriel, do you even know how many times I had to forced myself not to grab my keys and come to you? If you're crying in front of me, it doesn't matter if your sick or healthy, I'll come to you. If you wake up from a nightmare in the middle of the night and you want me there, I'll come to you. Damn Gab, why can't you see? I'm choosing you over and over."

I was smiling, laughing even, with tears in my eyes.

"Shane, will you... go on a road trip with me?"

***