Why Not?

Thomas and I walked to class. I'm pretty good at math, but I was nervous to take calculus this year. I don't have much faith in myself when it comes to math, I just tend to fly by with a high B, except that one time I passed with an A in Algebra...1. Pathetic, I know.

We walked into class and I saw tables instead of desks. They each sat two people instead of one. I immediately walked to the second row and sat at then table closest to the window. I like to be able to see the board, but not directly at the front so that I'm not directly in the eyesight of the teacher. When I sat down, Thomas was walking slowly, like he was nervous.

"Thomas? Are you not gonna sit with me?"

"I- Well, I didn't know if you wanted me to sit with you. I didn't know if you wanted to sit with someone else.."

"You're the only person I know, now come sit down."

He sat down with a slight smile and managed to not make eye contact, AT ALL. I chuckled a little and opened my bag. I pulled out my notebook and a pen. I'd realized Thomas already had a textbook, but it was the first day. I asked how he already had a textbook and he responded by telling me that he took pre cal over the summer and managed to get a book before school started. 

"So wait, you're a junior?"

"No. I've taken several classes every summer to stay on a three year track so I could graduate a year early. I was held back in second grade and I was determined to still graduate at 18."

"Oh. That's nice. Why were you held back? Actually that's not my business. Sorry.."

"It's okay, but it's a bit personal and a bit of a long story so maybe I'll tell you another time."

"Oh.. Okay."

Throughout the class, I kept drifting to the window and staring outside. After all, it was only the first day, and no class could have THAT much course work or lecture. I thought I heard Thomas talking but I dismissed it because I was pretty zoned out. This time he said my name and I felt a hand on my knee, I looked to him and he clocked his eyes to the teacher. The teacher informed me that while I was zoned out they had run out of textbooks and I wouldn't have one unless I checked the library.

"Where's the library sir?" but Thomas jumps in,

"I'll show you later, or I can just share my book with you Amara."

"Sounds good to me." 

I smiled at him and then he blushed when he realized his hand was still on my knee. He quickly apologized and I assured him it was totally fine, and thanked him for saving me from embarrassment. The rest of class everyone was on their phones, just like first period, except me and Thomas. We talked nonstop and traded numbers since we were now sharing a textbook. My next class was Anatomy, when I told Thomas, he sighed.

"I was afraid you'd say that."

"Why?"

"It's my class too."

"And that's a problem?!" I said while laughing a bit nervously. 

"Oh! Nothing. I just hate blood and everything inside the body and I don't want you to see me all squeamish. It's emberrassing."

"Oh. My. God. I can't wait! Let's go!" and I laugh as the bell rings.

✧・゚: *✧・゚:*    *:・゚✧*:・゚✧

We walk into Anatomy and it's of course the same type of seating as Calculus, so I say 

"Don't think about trying to get away this time! You have to be my partner!"

He sighs but throws a smile and we sit in the back, his request, so if he "dies of embarrassment" it's "not in front of the whole class, but behind them."

Anatomy actually had an assignment on the first day but it was a simple lab. A lab I'd done in biology at my old school where you test red food dye with different swabs to get different blood types. Thomas, needless to say, was not happy. He turned a bit pale and I had to mention that it obviously wasn't real blood about five times.

Anatomy was so fun. I've always loved learning about the human body and everything it does. All the things our brains do, and how much it affects our day to day lives. One of my dream jobs is a forensic psychologist. 

The class went by pretty fast and it was really nice to have Thomas there, but I think that he probably wouldn't have made it through if I hadn't been there. That boy is so squeamish. My next class was an online college course, Intro to Psychology. Thomas had lacrosse practice. I walked into the small classroom that had about ten people in it. I sat down and pulled out my computer and got a text from Thomas.

"So, what's the verdict?"

"Verdict on what?"

"Amara, do you want a ride home from school?"

"Sure. Why Not?"

"Alright. Meet me by the field when you get out."

Online classes didn't start for another two weeks so I decided to go to the field and watch Thomas practice. He was really good and I couldn't help but smile while watching him play. I got deep into thought while watching the team practice. I was thinking about how a couple hours ago we were just strangers. Now, we're friends, and I couldn't be happier. I had no plans to make friends at this school, and I'd managed to make one the first day. 

✧・゚: *✧・゚:*    *:・゚✧*:・゚✧

About ten minutes after the boys disappeared to the locker room, I'm greeted by Thomas, who is holding a practice jersey along with his duffle bag.

"I thought you had to leave the jersey here to be washed?"

"They had two practice jerseys for my number so I took it. How'd you know they wash the jerseys for us?

"My dad was a coach for a couple years when I was young and I would sit in his office after school most days."

We were walking to the student parking lot and as I realized I didn't know which car was his, I started to ask when he grabbed my hand to turn me around. 

"This is mine." Thomas said pointing to the beautiful jeep that I'd seen a day ago in my neighborhood. 

"Really?" I said in awe. "I love Jeeps so much. And I have a feeling you don't need my address by the way."

"What?"

"I saw this Jeep a couple houses down from mine yesterday when I went on a walk."

"Clearview?"

"Yeah."

"Well welcome to the neighborhood. Uh, would you possibly want to get lunch on the way home? I'm starving."

"Yeah! But can we get burgers? It just sounds so good right now."

"Yeah. Why not?"