Steve Rogers

the sound of heavy footsteps chasing after me made me scream and laugh. I looked back to see a flash of blonde hair and blue eyes as i picked up speed to escape the hands of the man following me. one of the marks on my forearm started tingling but before i had the chance to go invisible, a man with silver blonde hair picked me up and smiled at me.

*BEEP BEEP BEEP*
I grabbed my phone and pressed the snooze button. My dream was just getting good and I didn't want it to end. Just as I went to fall back asleep, my brother slammed my door open and jumped on my bed. "Nickiiiiiii," I groaned, "I'm trying to sleep." I didn't want to get up yet. I wanted to keep dreaming about my soulmates because I know it will never happen. "Too bad little sister. It's time to get up. You have school." I rolled my eyes at his energy before giggling. I pushed him off my bed as I made my way to my closet to get ready for the day. After i finished getting ready I walked downstairs to the kitchen. "Is momma not here again?" I asked with a frown.
"She went out after you went to sleep last night and hasn't come back yet. She'll probably be home when you get home from school. Don't worry," Nicki informed me. Momma hasn't been the same since dad left. She blamed it on us and was never around. If she was, she was too drunk or high to take care of us. Nicki does pretty much everything. He dropped out of college to come home and is doing online classes now on top of going to work for 9 hours everyday to pay the bills. Momma helps sometimes but she spends most of her money on weed and wine.
I grab an apple and the smoothie Nicki made me and kissed him goodbye before heading out to the bus. I put in my headphones and eat my apple. After I'm done I disintegrate it and take a sip of my smoothie.

—Time Skip—

When I get to school I start heading to my first class when Izzy stops me. "Look it's Aeyla. I wonder if she's found her soulmates yet. Oh wait, she couldn't have. They wouldn't want her anyway. I mean, who wants a soulmate with ten soul marks. What a freak." She starts laughing as I try to hold back from pushing he against a wall. "Aw Izzy. It's so sweet that you care about me like that," I say with a fake smile, "it really is too bad though. I mean, your soul mark hasn't even appeared yet. Maybe it means that you'll be alone forever and there isn't a single person in the whole world who was meant to be with you for the rest of your life. I guess the only soulmates you'll have are your cats." I pat her arm and before she can come back from the shock of me talking back to her, I walk into my first period class. She's right though, who has ten soulmates? They won't want me. Especially when they figure out about the magic I have. They won't want someone like me. Before I let my anxiety consume me, I run out of the classroom and straight to the park across from the library. It's the place I go when I need to think. I know Nicki is gonna be mad when the school calls and tells him I wasn't there but I'm ok with that. I can't be at school right now. As I'm sitting down in the tunnel of the playground, I feel my wrist starting to tingle. I look down and see my soul mark starting to glow. That means they're close to me. I crawl out of the tunnel and I see him. Steve Rogers. Of course I knew one of my soulmates was him. The shield on my wrist is pretty recognizable.

But I didn't expect him to be walking straight at me with a huge smile on his face

But I didn't expect him to be walking straight at me with a huge smile on his face. I couldn't face him. I couldn't tell him I had ten soulmates. What would he think? So I ran. But of course that wasn't the best choice considering he's a super soldier and can out run me any day. I hid behind a tree. He found me. "Why did you run?" he asked.
"I'm really sorry about this. I just can't right now," as I said those words I turned invisible and ran away. I didn't stop running until I was back at my house. I ran in the door out of breath.  I can't let him see me again. I wouldn't be able to take the pain of him rejecting me. The house is silent which means Nicki is still at work and momma isn't home yet. Good, neither of them need to know I found one of my soulmates. I look down at my wrist. I roll up my sleeve and look at all ten soul marks at once. They're fading now. Everything is going dark. I don't know what's happening. I should call Nic-

————————————————————————
started: April 11, 2020 2:16 am
finished: April 11,2020
word count: 870