Chapter 3

This literally is all fluff, sorry. The whole story is probably gonna be fluff but action will definitely happen, jus' tryin' not to rush things ya know...

It was all blurry at first when Ralph opened his eyes, but the weird shapes were soon coming together and formed a room. A white room. There were no windows, nor was it that big. White walls, white floor, and a greyish ceiling. This had to be some medical area judging by the beeping, the machines around him, and the smell of alcohol that's used for disinfecting.

Ralph felt his energy restored, or at least some of it. The pain was unfelt until he sat up, wincing, the fair haired boy looked down at what caused so much pain. The wound in his ribs. But he couldn't see it because a huge bandage was wrapped around it. What? Why was it there? He then realized his body was clean, and only marked with red cuts, bruises, and of course, the bandage wrapped around his upper waist.

"Feeling better, I hope?" A man asked, making Ralph turn his focus on him.

The man was about 50, with a mustache and wore a white uniform, with many badges. His hat was off, revealing his dull brown short hair. A large bald spot was at the top of his head.

Ralph forgot he was saved, and relief flooded him as he suddenly remembered. They're finally going back home.

"Yes, thank you." He murmured.

"Good to hear. You've been asleep for a while now, the gold hour is almost here."

Ralph tried getting on his feet. Though his body ached, he was somehow able to stand without nearly falling. That's when he realized he was wearing different pants. Baggy blue sweats,

"I-I uh..I do feel much better. Thank you." He smiled at the man. Or at least he forced a smile. He didn't feel like it. He still hasn't gotten over the fact that almost everyone betrayed him, but he's been feeling better. Well- at least he's not in a mood to cry.

"Ah yes, we do a fine job I belive... it's weird though, how you're the only one who has been so badly hurt." The male in the white uniform started. "Do you know why's that?"

The fair haired boy uneasily looked away from his hazel gaze, and at the white floor, reflecting his face.

"I don't know." He lied.

There was silence.

"Mmh.. wanna talk about it?"

"Where's all the other people you saved?" Ralph avoided the question.

"Ah yes, they've been escorted to a less busy area, a smaller extra room. One of the men are there actually.. I think he's counting how many survivors there are and getting information." The man, who was probably a doctor, answered.

"Oh.." Ralph quietly said. He didn't want to go to them. Didn't wanna see anyone's face. He just wanted to leave already. "When are we going back home?" He turned to the man, who had a look on his face which was already an answer to him.

"I am not sure, but I think the Seaman with all the other boys knows." His voice betrayed his expression, it was cheerful and confident. "I think you should go back if you're feeling well."

"No!" Ralph widened his eyes in terror, then realized he yelled. "No.." he whispered, walking backwards away from the door."I-I don't want to see them right now." He murmured.

The doctor worriedly looked at Ralph.

"You're upset, do you want to talk about it?" He sympathetically attempted to make him feel better, but failed.

Ralph shook his head, then sat back on the bed.

There was silence before the man spoke.

"Listen, son, whatever it is that's bothering you, it's all gone. Left behind in that island. My guesses are that the boys did this to you. Trust me, they won't hurt you here. They have probably even forgot they did in the first place. Young kids still have growing brains, still not fully reached in their mature stages. Age of responsibility, ya know?" The doctor looked at Ralph, who slowly turned his head to see his eyes, needing more convincing. He's also wondered how he knew the savages did it... or maybe it's was obvious they did. He didn't know. "I'm sure they didn't know what they did hurt you terribly, and even frightened you. But they'll learn, they all do. Violence isn't the answer to everything, but someones, it can teach lessons. Lessons to people about how their actions give pain to others."

Ralph hopelessly looked down. "How would you know?"

The man stuttered, attempting to find an example. "Well, one time, when I was just about your age, I had a little kitty cat. I'd pull on her tail and make her hang from it. Thought it was funny, until my pa' told me that it really hurt her. I did it again though, didn't really take his words for it, but then, I really did see how it affected her, and I never touched her tail again. She hated me for the rest of her life, tried to kill me, but I guess that was something to expect. Though I loved her, always did, I did used to scare her quite a bit. Thought it was all fun and games, but for her, that was reality and fear. As I got older, I realized it's my fault she's been like that, if I would've known how much I negatively impacted her life, maybe we still would've been friends..she never forgave me." He finished his words, then looked down at Ralph.

The blonde boy was in shock. He was a doctor though! He never would've guessed he hurt his cat as a kid.

"How do you know she never forgave you?" He wondered outloud.

"Well, she'd runaway from me, try to scratch and bite me. Even after we gave her away to a better home, I came to visit her when I was older, and she still scratched me." He murmured. "I really do love cats, and animals. It's shameful to admit what I did as a kid." He ended his story.

Ralph felt it on the cat's side, but also on his. If he would've known, if someone would've just told him, or maybe he did know, maybe he did know he gave her fear..maybe just didn't know how badly it impacted her like he said..maybe then he would've been different, but overall, he meant no harm.

"I'm sorry for you and your cat." He murmured.

Ralph heard a chuckle from the older man, who was smiling.

"It happened a very long time ago..but my point was to tell you, to not be the cat. Even though the boys hurt you, I don't think they may have known how terrible their actions really were.. and even if they did know, sooner or later, or maybe they have already, realized what they did, and regret it. They'll go on living for the rest of their lives in shame, and you'd live your life hating them. Don't be the cat, and don't let them be me." The medical man informed.

Ralph then realized why he actually told the story. Though he didn't want to go back to see them, maybe he should..even though they wanted to kill him earlier today. He had to go anyways if he wanted to find out when they were gonna go home. It didn't mean he had to talk to the savages, if they still are savages, but he just has to talk to the Seaman. That's all.

The young boy's chest flared with hope, and he looked up with some life in his eyes, replacing the dullness that used to be in them.

"Alright. I'll go to the Seaman. I won't be the cat..thank you sir, once again, for everything." He even let a small smile spread across his face, before getting off the bed and going to the door. He waved bye and was wished good luck.

The doctor had one of the other workers give socks and shoes to the boy, before escorting him through the halls of the ship to where the extra room was, holding all the tribe boys, and the wise Seaman.

Ralph wasn't ready for it but he repeated in his head, that he wouldn't let himself be the cat, and wouldn't let the savages be the doctor. Especially Jack.. if he even had a heart to feel sorry...