Chapter 5

The person who guided Ralph to the rest of the boys gave a curt nod to the Seaman before disappearing behind the door.

All eyes were on the blonde, and though he's always been used to it, this felt different. These were eyes not of the boys he once knew but the monsters they've become.

"And you must be...?" The Seaman, Eric, looked at the younger boy with his hazel eyes.

"Ralph." The blonde responded firmly.

"Right, last name?"

"Willson."

"Ralph..Willson?" Eric's gaze seemed to be interested. "Son of Jake Willson, the Commander?"

Ralph wondered why he wanted to know. In confusion, he slightly narrowed his eyes.

"Yes..why?"

"He was a great man, served Britain well." He smiled.

Why was he referring to him as if he retired from his job? It didn't make sense to Ralph. Eric was weird..

"Do you know where he is now?" The fair haired boy suddenly found hope of maybe finding out his father was on this ship. He could finally talk to him again, ask him why he was dumped on that island..he could get comfort and love because he's been missing it a lot. Just to feel wanted again by someone.

There was a pause in their conversation, silence. All ears were carefully listening to their words for whatever reason, as if they were interested in what's going to happen.

"You don't know do you?" The Seaman's tone changed. It wasn't bright anymore, it was monotone.

"Know what?"

"He was shot in the heart a year ago, defending someone." Eric said, his eyes weren't happy.

Dead? His dad... dead?! Impossible! His dad can't be dead! He needs him! He was going to yell his words out loud, but realized how pathetic he'd sound. Everyone was watching him, and probably loved seeing him in pain, and he wasn't going to let them ever see that again. Especially Merridew, whose gaze he felt pricking his skin.

"Well that was brave of him then." Ralph tried not to squeak. He felt a lump in his throat and all hope lost. Who is he without his dad? By now, Ralph knew he'd almost lost everything except his mom. At least his mom was alright. At least she'd comfort him about it. Love him because no one else ever could. Not now and not ever.

Eric looked surprised at that response, which Ralph guessed he'd expect him to cry. He wasn't wrong, he really did want to cry, but he couldn't do it. He suddenly started to hate the fact everyone was looking at him and overhearing this. These were personal matters.. and in general, he hated being around these people who tried to kill him and were once his friends. He came here for a reason, to ask his question and nothing else, so the sooner he'd ask, the sooner he'd be able to leave.

"When are we going back home?" He wondered out loud.

Eric furrowed his eyebrows in thought, and looked away before glancing back at him.

"The smoke from the island has put an enemy on our radar, and we aren't sure if they're close by or not. It's safe to wait this out, so I'm going to assume that you'll have to sit here for about another day or two before things clear out." He leaned back in his chair, picked his pen up and started writing in the name charts, probably filling out Ralph's name.

After standing there for a few moments, the fair haired boy turned around, opened the door, and walked out, closing it right behind him.

Eric flinched and looked up, to see Ralph gone. He frowned in wonder and confusion on why'd he leave.