Temporary Solutions

It had been a few months since the incident at the arena at Cloud's home, and the young calico had been recovering rather well. He had been more focused, meditating every day to keep his emotions mellowed and in check. So far, it had been working. He had had some incidents since getting out of the family's hospital, however, and has since been trying out a new drug that his uncle Timtam had been prototyping. Despite his parents' initial hesitant protests, Timtam promised he would be safe, but exhausted. And exhausted he was; the drug was meant to suppress magic exponentially, and must be taken regularly to keep his magic down to prevent further strong outbursts. He would take them every morning and do his best to power through the day, but without fail, everyday when he came back from school, he would nap for a few hours at a time, nearly impossible to wake up due to the fatigue the magic suppressor caused.

A part of him regretted taking the drug and worrying his family about his long naps, but there wasn't much he could do about it until his body started to develop a tolerance to it. Not having the magic he had as a Colvi meant he wouldn't be able to team up with his friends as much anymore, but, he thought, with who his Drake was, and how dangerous he was with him, it was probably for the best.

He had to admit though, not being plagued with nightmares from one of the worst creatures in existence he could've ever had the displeasure of knowing was nice, even if it was only for a maximum of four hours every afternoon. At night it was still bad, but it was no longer as bad as it used to be. Plus, he started to trust himself with his emotions again; he was smiling and laughing with his friends and Andi more and more, and the fact that he actually had something to help was good. It made him feel good.

And then, one morning, he woke up and reached for his pouch that had the drugs in it, patting his paw on his desk with his eyes closed as he fumbled for it. When he picked it up, he realized it was very light. A wave of nausea overcame his whole body, and his eyes snapped open from where he was laying. He opened the pouch and turned it over.

It was empty.

Panic started to set it, turning his stomach and causing him to pull his blanket closer to him and shut his eyes again.

If I don't have the drug, I'll lose control again. I can't do it again I'll hurt someone- oh Gods please-

A soft knock at the door sounded just at his door, and when he peeked, his mom, Merlot, was there. The bicolor poked her head in and watched as her son looked at her, eyes wide and his body visibly shaking.

"Oh- shoot, Cloud, I was hoping you'd sleep in a little so the side effects wouldn't- here." She rushed into the room and gently set another pouch on Cloud's lap, sitting with him until he took the drug. When she watched him slowly calm down and settle into being more subdued, she reached over and gave him a hug.

"I'm sorry I was late, dear. Your uncle just brought those in; they're brand new and he's really glad they're working as intended." she hummed softly, pulling away from the small calico. He looked up at her and pulled his ears back with a smile.

"Hey, no worries. I'm sure it wouldn't have just... Rapidly returned my magic like that." The smile on his face quickly fell and he leaned in a little closer. "Right? That's not how that works?" His mom put a paw on his cheek, and sighed.

"I don't know yet, and neither does Timtam. But whatever happens, you have all of us with you, okay? We won't leave your side until you're alright, I promise." The calico looked at his mom as she spoke, and when she finally stood up, she gave him a kiss on the cheek and ruffled his head floof.

"Now, get ready for school." she teased. "Don't want you to be late, yeah?"

At her words, Cloud instinctively looked at his clock. It was 7:45, 15 minutes until his bus came by.