Binary Stars

Bi•na•ry Star [bahy-nuh-ree stahr]

(n.) A binary star exists in a star system consisting of two stars orbiting around a common barycenter. These systems, especially when more distant, often appear to the unaided eye as a single point of light, and are then revealed as multiple by other means.

—————

"Jimmy, you've got a phone call," Rebecca said, slightly opening my door. "Dad said to make it quick because he has to make a business call soon."

"Thanks Rikki," I replied, getting up and kissing her on the forehead.

She smiled. "By the way, it's Steve."

I smiled back as I walked towards the phone. I reached for it as it sat on the counter face up, attached to the rest of the machine in the middle of our living room where literally anyone could hear the conversation I was about to have.

I saw my father standing in the doorway watching me. I wasn't sure if he was just waiting for the phone or if he simply knew something was going on, so I decided to answer the phone as if I had no idea who was on the other end. "This is James Barnes, to whom am I speaking?"

Ugh, I felt like I was trying to impress my dad or something.

"'To whom am I speaking'," he mocked me through the phone, laughing. "The hell are you doing? I mean, Jesus, you sound like a country boy."

"Ah, yes, Steve, hello," I responded, trying to get my idea across without my dad thinking I was being a dumbass, as, he was still watching me and seemingly listening.

"Oh, shit, is your dad standing there?"

"Yes."

"Oops," he chuckled. "I'll make this quick, then. Basically, you're sleeping over my house tonight. Tell your dad my mom said it was alright and not to call her to confirm because she's at work."

"Alright, I will," I confirmed.

"Ok, bye."

"Goodbye," I replied, turning to my dad. "Sorry I took so long, Dad, it was Steve. He said I'm welcome to sleep over his house tonight."

"And what did Miss Rogers say to this?" he asked.

"She said it was alright by her as long as you say it's ok, too."

"Perhaps I shoul-"

"Oh," I cut him off. "And Steve told me that you shouldn't call her about it because she's at work."

"Ah... alright. Don't- do anything stupid," he told me; it was almost like he knew.

I walked to my room and packed a little bag before heading over to Steve's. Then, I made my way out of the front door, making sure to say goodbye to everyone, too.

I knocked on Steve's door.

He opened it with a smile across his face. The light and colors of the setting sun really were flattering across his face.

He moved aside to let me in, so I walked forward, listening to him close the door and lock it behind us.

"How's it goin'?" I asked, putting my bag down on the floor as I took my shoes off.

"Pretty good, actually," he began. "My mom got called into work last minute because, for whatever reason, there's been a huge spike in Polio patients and they were short-staffed tonight."

"Ahh gotcha," I replied. "Well, at least we get to hang out."

"Very true."

"So, uh... what'd you wanna do?" I questioned slyly.