Eleven

Ash, Serena, Tayla, Gary, and Grace has spent the last week in Kanto, but school was about to start up again, so they needed to fly back. Serena wasn't ready to leave, she had had the last 2 and a half weeks with Ash alone, aside from his family and Gary. It was nice, almost like a fairytale. She could almost imagine that they were together in real life, and just hanging out and loving being together without all the rest of their friends.

Suffice to say Serena looked back towards the Viridian City airport as she climbed aboard Ash's jet with a bittersweet smile. Reality had to come at some time. She settled in next to Ash on one of the cozy armchairs as the pilot prepped the plane for takeoff. Her mom was using her computer on a couch nearby, and Tayla and Gary were sitting on the couch across from Ash and Serena. The four of them were just talking and laughing, enjoying the pleasure of each other's company.

~~

Serena fell face first onto her familiar bunk at school, exhausted from the day of traveling. The other girls hadn't returned yet, so it was just her alone. A knock at her door startled her, it's 1130 at night who's here? Serena beckoned for Fennekin, who followed close behind just in case. Opening the door, her mouth dropped open.

"What are you doing here? This is the girls dormitory!" She hissed, yanking him into the room. "We'll both get in trouble!"

"By who?" Ash chuckled, leaning against the door. Serena narrowed her eyes and crossed her arms.

"The RAs," she said. "They patrol the floors you know."

"I'm aware," Ash smirked. Serena smiled and rolled her eyes. The fact that Pikachu wasn't with him did not escape her notice.

"What are you doing here?" She asked again, but softer and more friendly.

"I just wanted to thank you." Ash replied, sinking to the floor so he was sitting against the door. Serena joined him, their shoulders touching.

"For what?" Serena tilted her head quizzically.

"Coming to Pallet Town, putting up with me, forgiving me," he gave a hard, low laugh, "Still being there."

"Oh, uh it was nothing." Serena murmured.

"It wasn't." Ash looked at her intently. "I put you through hell the last few months. If I was in your position I wouldn't have been able to do that."

"I don't believe that." Serena said softly, looking off to the right, staring at nothing. She felt Ash shift next to her, adjusting his position as he laid his head back against the door.

"You're an incredible friend Serena." He said. Serena sighed, is that all he'll ever see her as?

"That's my job." She muttered. Her voice had a slight shake to it, something that Ash didn't detect. Serena blinked and swallowed hard. Get a hold of yourself, she scolded.

"Well, I'm gonna go back to my dorm now." Ash said, standing up. Serena looked up at him, taking the hand he offered to help her up. "See you in the morning?"

Serena nodded and held the door open for him as he snuck out. She watched until he rounded the corner to the stairs, then shut the door softly, a muffled thump echoed through the empty room. She couldn't hold back anymore, Serena fell onto her bed, tears flowing freely. She didn't sob. It was a silent cry, the worst kind. She felt a nudging at her hand, which she saw was Fennekin. Serena turned on her side, Fennekin nosing under her arms and curling up against her. Eevee did the same, and she also felt Pancham hugging her from behind. Serena fell asleep like that, comforted by the warm embraces of her Pokémon.

"How'd it go?" Gary asked when Ash returned to their room.

"It went good. I think we're back to where we were before everything happened."