Twelve

Serena woke early Monday morning. She was tired, she hadn't gotten a lot of sleep last night. The fact that Ash went on a date with Rosalie last night and came back smiling made her upset. She needed to get over that.

Serena walked downstairs to the common room and found the couch by the fire. The cafeteria wasn't open yet, so Serena decided to brush her Pokémon. She let all three out and started with Fennekin.

"Hey guys," she muttered, running the brush over Fennekin's coat while her other Pokémon waited patiently. "How are you guys doing?" The three Pokémon chorused their names back at her happily, letting her know they were good.

"Okay, a couple more on your tail and then you're done." Serena smiled, finishing Fennekin off. Eevee squealed and jumped into Serena's lap next, causing Pancham to throw a little fit.

"Pancham pan pan!" It protested. Serena smiled and scratched the black and white bear.

"You'll be next, just be patient." Serena said. Pancham glared at Eevee, but dropped the issue.

About 30 min later, she finished with all of her Pokémon and smiled. She was about to get up and leave the common room to get food when she overheard a conversation that glued her to her spot. Serena glanced up at the staircase leading down from the girls' dorms where a shadow was falling across the staircase. Someone was stopped there talking to someone else on the phone.

"He took me out last night and seems as starry eyed as ever," Serena covered her mouth as she recognized the voice belonged to Rosalie.

"No, I don't think him going to Kanto with her did anything major. He seems the same, like I said." Rosalie paused for a moment, letting the other person speak. Thankfully Serena had already called her Pokémon back into their balls, because she needed to get out of there, Rosalie started moving again. She just slipped through the door right after hearing Rosalie's next words.

"Yes I'll continue watching them, I'm getting close." The door snapped shut behind Serena and she took off for the cafeteria. She didn't know if the door closing was loud enough to alert Rosalie that someone listened to her.

"Serena, wait!" Serena turned back and sighed thankfully. Dawn and Shauna were coming towards her, Rosalie might not know that she overheard then.

"You always get up so early." Dawn said, smiling.

"Did Rosalie see you guys walking out?" Serena asked. Shauna narrowed her eyes.

"No, I don't think so, she was sitting by the fire looking at something. Why?" Serena sighed, more relieved.

"Serena what's up?" Dawn asked, turning serious.

"I overheard her on the phone again," she muttered as they continued to the cafeteria. "It sounded like she was reporting to someone. She said she'd continue to monitor Ash and the rest of us."

"That's really weird." Dawn said, pushing the door open to the cafeteria. Shauna nodded, following Dawn.

"Yeah, I don't know. Let's just get some food." Serena muttered.

About 20 minutes later, the three of them were sitting with their food waiting for the rest of their friends. Ash, Gary, Clemont, and Paul walked through the doors. Ash, Gary, and waved while Paul just glanced over and nodded, a slight smile turning up the corners of his mouth. Serena followed his line of sight to Dawn, who was blushing. Serena's eyes widened.

"Dawn!" She squealed quietly. Shauna looked over from her waffles. "He was totally smiling at you!" Shauna's eyes widened and she grinned.

"Paul never smiles, you have to tell us what happened." Shauna said, giggling. Dawn blushed even darker.