Chapter 10

Recap

10-22-11

Saturday

11:00 p.m.

Jamal POV

I can't believe I'm out here with this foolishness, but Kamarcus my brother and I'll stick with him no matter what.  Kamarcus and I were watching them do their thing.  It was quiet and peaceful.  Then, somebody yelled, "THIS FOR MY HOMEBOY."  Gun shots were fired and then they stopped.  It was too late.

Dad POV

My wife and I were peacefully sleeping in our bed until my phone started to ring.  I answered it without looking at the caller I.D.  The person talked for a few minutes then my heart dropped.  I shook my wife in a panic and told her what the person on the phone said.  I could see the horror in her expression.  We started moving in a hurry, threw some clothes on, and drove to the hospital.

Jamal POV

It’s just like my dream when we first moved here.  Kamarcus was heavily bleeding out on the sidewalk.  We jumped in the car and rushed to the hospital.  Between all the blood and tears, I kept blacking out in rage and sorrow.  We rushed him in the building, then they rushed him to ICU and we been waiting for about half an hour now.  I would call my parents, but 1. We snuck out and 2. How am I supposed to explain to them that Kamarcus got shot?  Next thing I know, my parents came bursting through the door. 

Mom: (crying) is he okay, what did the doctor say (frantic)

Me: (crying) no we still waiting

Dad: WHY THE HELL DID YALL SNEAK OUT, WHO SHOT HIM, WHY ARE THEY HERE (points at the twins) SOMEBODY NEEDS TO START FUCKING TALKING

Me: we…

Tay: it’s my fought (cries) he wanted to know how I made my money and he found out.  So he convinced me to let him and Jamal come with us to watch.  The dudes that shot him were trying to shoot us, but I guess the bullet miss us and got him.  They were retaliating on us about something we did a couple of months ago.

I never seen my dad so upset in my life.  Veins were showing on every part of his body that was visible.  He walked over to Tay and grabbed him by his neck.

Dad: You better hope he survive for your sake

Nurse: Sir you are going to have to put him down before I call security

Dad: (drops Tay)

We sat in the lobby of the hospital for another hour until the doctor walked in.