Saying good bye to home

"Lucas, are you okay?" I ask as I ride up to him on my horse. "You don't seem like yourself."

"My dad's making us move," Lucas says with a sigh. "He's not happy about what happened at school and he won't listen to me when I say it's not my fault."

"My dad loves you for defending me from that bully."

My dad hasn't been the easiest to please since Jessie took off to live her dream. Ironically she's now a nanny for a bunch of kids and would rather help them with their problems instead of write to me.

"I just had a great idea. Why don't you come with us, Massey? Your dad loves my family so he'll probably say yes and I don't want to leave you behind."

"I'll ask him. If he says yes that will be the best news ever. But he's also really old fashioned so we'll cross our fingers. I bet I could make some really nice clothes out of the material they have."

It might help that Jessie is already in New York, but that doesn't matter since I won't visit her.

"Okay, so it's a plan. We'll ask him at dinner."

"We?"

"Yeah, he invited me over. Said it was the least he could since I saved his daughter. I would have settled for a parade, but he insisted on dinner."

"Lucas, I love you, but sometimes you're a dork."

"I'm the dork?" He questions feigning offense. "Says the barrel riding champ."

"You're right. I am the champ. And as the champ why don't you eat my dust."

With that I tighten my legs and my horse and I take off. Behind me I can hear Lucas say to horse, "Come on, Thunder. Let's catch her."

Massive thank you to not a bad Slytherin for proof reading my first chapter