Prologue

"And why's that, Alex, hmm?" he asked, softly, trailing his fingers up my wet skin, scorching my arms. 

He moved his head to try and meet my eyes every time I moved it, but I tried to keep my head down, knowing that with the proximity and Parker's inebriation, I was in trouble.

"Why did you want me to be safe?" His breath and presence surrounded me. 

I looked up at him under my eyelashes and his deep, green eyes were watching me intently, questioning me, teasing me.

"Because," I faltered, "Because you're my friend." I was pretty much frozen in the spot, unable to think much, or do anything.

"Am I just your friend?" Parker teased, moving his nose against my forehead, one of his hands under my thigh and the other on the small of my back, pulling me flush against him.

I let out a shuddering breath.

Parker lowered his mouth to my ear, his breath hot against my skin, warming every inch of my skin.

"I know I get to you," he whispered, his voice low, deep and smooth, his lips lightly grazing the sensitive skin of my ear, "I know you want me to touch you. If I do, you won't want me to stop."

I gulped, hoping he didn't notice. The heat that radiated off his bare chest, even though we had just got drenched, warmed me all over, making me want to pull him closer and feel him through my dripping wet clothes. His head dipped and his lips teased mine before he pressed his lips against mine, making my heart jump.

He lifted his head, his arms still holding me hostage on my table. A sinister smirk crossed his lips. I stared at him. He lowered his head to my neck, but didn't touch me, only his minty breath hitting my skin. A shudder ran through me and he raised his head, smirked at me and walked away.

He knew he was right.