(An Unexpected) Prologue

'It's moments like this,' I thought to myself, 'that support my belief that I'm a fictional character. Because this situation is too fantastic and crazy to be real.

Sorry. I feel that this is the beginning of a story, but, before I get into the narrative, consider this an unexpected prologue. I just need to say a few things.

First off, let me introduce myself: my full name is Alistair Nikola Squires, but you can call me 'Al.' Secondly, let me point out that, by 'you,' yes, I do mean everyone who's reading this book. At least, I think it's a book.

You see, just because I'm self-aware of my fictional status, does not mean I am omniscient. I can't really see you, but I know that you're there. You could be reading a book, or you could very well be reading a graphic novel (I'm too interesting for just a flimsy-ass 25+ page comic). Then again, you could be playing a video game (hint-hint, to all you big-time video game developers), or maybe you're watching me in a TV series or a movie (hint-hint again, but this time to all the showbiz bigwigs out there in Hollywood; I'm talking to them, but I'm looking at you, Netflix).

But, seeing that I'm feeling very descriptive right now (plus, I don't think that you saw me tap at the air in frontof me where that I think the screen would be), I figure that I'm (for the time being) in a full-fledged book; with words, prose, backstories, expositions, and no pictures whatsoever. That's fine by me; people need to use their imaginations more often these days. The imagination is a muscle of both the mind and the spirit. Pretty good, huh? I just thought of it myself. (Or did I?!)

Anyway, omniscient or not, I know what you're thinking: you're thinking, "How does he know he's fictional? They're not supposed to know." Well, the 'how' will be explained throughout the story (yes, there will be a story, and not just me talking to you); along with all those 'W' words that tend to come with 'how.' For the second part of your thought, let me ask you this: what makes you think that fictional characters DON'T know that they're fictional?

I mean, think about it this way: in the stories that are written in the first person- like what I'm doing right now- the main character/narrator is always telling someone the accounts of their story. My question for you, dear Voy- um, Readers, is this: who do you think they're REALLY talking to? The answer is simple: the ones who are reading their story. They don't acknowledge it, of course, but that doesn't mean that they don't know that they're fictional.

I figure the reason I'm talking to you outright is either that brilliant enough brave enough, crazy enough, or all the above enough to break the fourth wall- as it's known- and talk to you.