Chapter 1

Kumarakom, Kerala

Shashi knew where her daughter was.
She always knew.
Most of the times, she would find her striding about the resort they had built together with so much love and care. At the reception or on the lawns or checking the dining hall or the spa. She was always on the move and always had things under control. So much so that Shashi had taken a bit of a backseat. She would still know what was happening and had the pulse of the place. But when it comes to the everyday, she left it to her girl.
Today, she couldn’t find her in all the usual places. Mr. Nair, the manager was looking for her. Usually, she would have just called her. But she smiled as she had an inkling as to where her daughter would be.
She made her way through the path that led to a thicket of trees. She kept walking for a bit until she found a small opening in a few branches of a bush. She bent down and looked. Bingo!
There she was sitting on a lone swing, rocking the swing slowly, head leaning on one chain. Her eyes were shut, her expression pensive.
It had been years. Ever since they built this resort, she had noticed her daughter would come here when things got too much or she needed a break to just be. She spent the whole day amid people and problems that she could solve. This place demanded nothing from her. This place let her be. It let her be Heer.
But Shashi was worried for Heer. It had been nearly 5 years since Heer had even stepped out of Kerala. Her whole world was this resort and home. She was friends with a few people from school way back when they lived in Delhi that she was still in touch with. But all her friends from college had left Kerala to pursue careers in other cities. Heer on the other hand was still here, now taking over the resort.
As she looked at her daughter slowly rocking the swing, she realized that if she didn’t shake things up a bit, things wouldn’t change. Heer wouldn’t do anything herself. Something was holding her back.
She had to do something. Shashi smiled as she got up and turned around, a plan forming in her head.

Author's Note: 2020 feels sucky and I feel like writing. I hope you guys feel like joining Heer on this journey and keep us company. :)
S