Chapter 24

Kumarakom, Kerala

Green.

It was green everywhere again as the cab sped back to her home again. She was back in the window seat. The sights were just different. Despite being back home where she would soon see the people she loved, she felt like something was missing.

She reached the resort first and saw her mother behind the counter talking to a guest. The minute her mother saw her, she excused herself and rushed to her. The bright smile on her face was worth everything Heer owned. She ran and hugged her mother.

"Maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa..."

"Bubs! You're back! It's been too long, child."

Heer pulled back and berated, "You sent me away!"

"Because you needed it! Now hush, I'm the mother. I make the rules."

She giggled and said, "Okay now that I'm back, tell me all!"

Things almost felt normal a few days later. Almost. But she'd see or hear things here and there and her heart would feel an odd pinch. She would hear a laugh and she would look up instantly. She would see a black hoodie somewhere and she would do a double-take. She saw a group of people having a great time and she would falter in her step. She saw two women talking and laughing and she would feel a little sad.

While work would take up most of her time, there were long stretches of time where her heart would feel heavy. She would focus on the task at hand but she felt like she was elsewhere. Like she wanted to be elsewhere. Which was ridiculous because this was home.

A month passed. The feeling was still there. She would tell herself that it would pass. One day after the morning meeting, she made her way to the desk and Mr. Nair pushed something her way and said, "This came for you."

She looked down and spotted a familiar landscape. It was a postcard from Spiti. She frowned and pulled the card towards herself. She flipped it over and saw unfamiliar handwriting.

"Heer,

Yeah but I sent you a postcard all the way from Spiti! What did you do? :P

Ishaan."

A smile escaped her and she felt her eyes watering. She blinked rapidly, stuffed the card in her pocket and went back to work.

The next day, another postcard appeared.

"Heer,

Bet you thought I wouldn't bug you in Kerala.

You were wrong.

Ishaan."

Then yet another one...

"Heer,

This postcard is a reminder for you. It is to remind you of me. Just in case you forget. :P

Ishaan."

And then finally...

"Heer,

You know...

I'm counting on you to send me a postcard too.