Chapter 6

"Uncle..."

Mr. Nair looked up from the person he was talking to when he heard Heer's voice. Heer spotted the customer who was checking in to the hotel and she turned slightly red in the face. She then walked forward and apologized, "I'm sorry sir. I hope you had a pleasant stay at the resort?"

The slightly older gentleman smiled at Heer as she spoke to the guest. He knew how she was about the resort. He printed out the bill, carefully folded it and picked up an envelope to slide it in. The guest was a foreigner who was visiting India for the first time and was enamoured with the resort and the beautiful Kerala culture it had seamlessly integrated in every space of the resort. He had a glowing review of the place and couldn't wait to tell his friends all about it. He was just telling Heer all about it. Heer broke into a huge smile and replied, "Nothing makes me happier than a happy guest. If you ever get the time, you could write us a review online. It helps other travellers find the place."

The guy nodded and said, "It was on my mind. That's how I found it. I also came across this vlog by a certain traveller. It was so interesting to watch. I can share a link of that as well."

Heer nodded and said with a beaming smile, "I have watched it. It's beautiful. It really talks about the essence of this place. Thank you!"

As the guest made his way out of the hotel and into the cab Heer helped call, Mr. Nair looked at her and asked, "So you had something to ask me?"

Heer asked distractedly as she straightened out the already neat desk, "Hmmm?"

Realization then dawned upon her as she said, "Oh yes! I'm sorry. I wanted to talk to you about something. My mother has a new plan that she WANTS me to follow through. I need you to help me."

Mr. Nair smiled and nodded wordlessly, asking her to continue.

Heer then gestured for him to sit down and she took a seat herself. She then clasped her hands around her knee and took a deep breath to compose her thoughts.

"Uncle, Ma wants me to go on...a trip. For 10 days."

"Okay. How would you need my assistance for this?"

Heer blinked. She then said as though it was the most obvious thing in the world, "I want you to say no. I mean there's so much work here already. And this is not the season to take off....and..."

Mr. Nair rolled his eyes and said, "Hush child...calm down. I know of this. Your mother has already spoken to me."

Heer frowned and asked, "She has? Why is it that everyone knows about this but me? How long have you guys been planning this?"

Mr. Nair chuckled and replied, "It is not a spy mission. We simply want you to live a little. And in response to your earlier question, we did not tell you because you would have reacted the exact same way you are right now and would have put a proverbial spoke in the plans. So we went about it quietly until now."

Heer shook her head and said, "So you won't help me?"

Mr.Nair laughed out loud. In all these years, he had become the one friend and person who she could always rely on for advice.

"Do you really think this place would crumble to the ground without you? We've been running it for years now. We know a thing or two. You are a part of this family. So it is our job to worry about you and ensure you are happy."

"What makes you think I'm not happy?"

"Well...happier. We could always do with some R&R. So no, I will not help you. In fact, I insist that you go. Live a little."

A couple of hours later...

Shashi was seated on a comfortable chair with her feet up with a book and a hot cup of tea by the window. Heer walked into the house and ambled over to her. Shashi didn't look up and just continued to read.

Heer plopped down on the sofa next to the chair and stared at her mother, willing her to look up. Shashi waited for another few seconds when Heer let out a deep sigh and said, "Fine, I'll do it. Now please talk to me, I'm bored."

Shashi smiled and looked up.

Author's Note: Have you ever taken a trip because you were so exhausted with your current life and you just want to feel different for a few days?

So because I haven't been doing so well on the updating, I'm trying to put up more than one chapter today. Yay!

S.