Epilogue

Three months later

"So are you excited?"

Shashi didn't really need an answer. She could see a skip in her daughter's step.

Heer broke into a smile and said, "Yes, Ma! It's been 2 months since I saw them!"

Shashi smiled and nodded, "I think it was a great idea to invite Rina and Maddy over for your birthday. And an even better one for you to take the whole weekend off and spend it with them."

She could feel the difference. Sense the gradual lowering of Heer's walls. Atleast around her. That's all she could ask for, for now.

"I'm feeling way too restless. I'm going to go take over the desk from Mr.Nair for a bit, Ma. Okay?"

"Your choice, bubs."

She made her way to the desk where Mr.Nair was dealing with a guest. He saw Heer approach the desk and he brightened.

"Heer! Just the person I needed. Your friend seems to have lost her way."

"Rina?"

"Yes. She and her husband called and said they took a wrong turn. You may have to go and lead the way."

"Yes, of course."

She made her way out of the gate and walked down the path. It was such a beautiful path. So lush and green. She pulled her phone out of her pocket and called Rina.

"Hey, where are you?"

"Oh my God, Heeriye! We can't find the way. I called you but you didn't pick up. Okay, we're near this lane. It's numbered. 87. Is that the right one?"

"Yes. I'll be there in 2 minutes. Don't stress, okay?"

She neared the lane and found the parked car with Rina looking out of the window, worriedly. The frown lines cleared the moment Heer appeared. The door then flew open and she came rushing into Heer's arms. Heer laughed and scooped her in. Maddy who was leaning out of his window, waved at her with a big grin on his face. She waved back joyfully.

Rina pulled back and said, "Happy birthday, Heeriye! Oh my God! I'm so happy to see you!"

"I'm happy to see you toooooo!"

"Okay, please let's get off this road. I can't stand here a moment longer."

Maddy chipped in, "Almost as long as I have."

"Very funny! Okay, please let's just go. Which way, Heer?"

Heer chuckled and got into the car as Maddy drove down the road as per her instructions. They neared the stunning entrance of the resort when Heer spotted something at the gate. Her heart skipped a beat. It couldn't be. She had felt this feeling so often whenever she spotted anyone who looked vaguely like him that she was growing a little tired of it. But her heart was hammering away. As they grew closer, she saw him look up.

It was again the same look from all those months ago. Something unadulterated. Heady. She blinked and looked at Rina next to her.

Rina had a huge grin on her face. She shrugged and said, "I got you a birthday present, Heeriye."

Heer opened her mouth to say something. But nothing came out. She then let out a laugh and hugged her friend. Rina hugged her back but released her quickly.

"Go, go!"

Heer smiled wide and opened the car door and closed it behind her. How often had she thought of this moment? This moment where she would see him again. In her mind, she always focused on playing the moment out. The details. What she would do. What he might do. But in reality, his presence here seemed to eclipse everything else.

She had seen movies where the heroine runs towards the hero and she would always think that it was such a cliché. Now all she wanted to do was run.

Oh what the heck.

She broke into a run to cover the last few steps between them and threw herself into his arms. He laughed and pulled her in.

His laugh was still the same. Musical. She could hear it reverberating against her chest as she held him close.

She whispered in his ear, "You're here."

He chuckled and said in a teasing voice, "Yeah, I wanted my sweatshirt back."

She laughed and pulled back to look into his eyes.

"There is no way you're getting that back."

He pressed her nose playfully and said, "But YOU said I could have it back if I came to visit."

She shook her head and said, "Mine."

He mock sighed and said, "Ah well, may as well go back then."

She tightened her grip on him and said with a huge grin, "Mine."

He laughed and hugged her back.

Author's Note: I've never had a story here where the immediate first reaction to the end was the request for an epilogue. :) 

However, the minute the request came in, the idea for the epilogue began to form as well. It's meant to be, I guess.

Happy reading!

Much love from Heer and Ishaan

And

S :)