Chapter 25

A month later

Heer ambled into the dining room. She yawned and sat at the dining table as her mother was busy reading the newspaper. She poured herself a cup of coffee and stared into space for a good ten minutes before...

"I...am thinking of something."

Her mother raised her eyebrows in response.

Heer took a deep breath and said, "I'm thinking...of visiting Rina and Maddy in Delhi. Just for the weekend."

Her mother visibly brightened when she heard that. This was the first time Heer had suggested getting out on her own. The past month had been better, Shashi had noticed. Heer was getting back to being herself. They had had long conversations about everything and nothing. Shashi was ever determined for Heer to figure out her dream. Heer would atleast not brush the subject away. She would listen. Shashi saw that as a win. At least they were talking about it. That was enough for Shashi. And Heer was smiling more than ever. She looked more content and at peace with herself than before.

Heer asked hesitantly, "Ma, would that be alright?"

Shashi nodded vigorously and said, "Of course! You must go!" She then slyly asked, "Would Ishaan be there?"

They had spoken about Ishaan too this past month. Her mother had enjoyed watching Heer recount tales of someone who made her laugh. She had seen pictures too. Quite a good looking boy.

Heer rolled her eyes and replied, "He lives in Mumbai, ma. I'm going to visit my friends!"

"And he's not a friend?"

Heer smiled without wanting to. It just slipped out.

"Stop it, ma! He is. He's just...not in Delhi, okay?"

Shashi laughed.

Heer got up before her mother could say anything else and said, "I'm going out for a bit. You'll be alright at the resort?"

"Of course. I'll see you soon, bubs."

In a little while, she set out of the house and made her way through the beautiful green expanse. She zipped up a light jacket and donned a cap. She then reached a little post box. She slipped a small card into the box and kept walking ahead, with a smile on her face as she hugged herself. She didn't know where she was headed but she enjoyed her way anyway.

The postcard reached its destination. It was a picturesque scenery of the backwaters of Kerala. On the flip side, it read,

"Ishaan,

Yeah but I sent you a postcard from Kerala. What did you do? :P

I hope you're happy and well. I miss your laugh! Hope you've made it into a ringtone and made millions. :D

Love,

Heer.

P.S. I still have your sweatshirt. You'd think you're getting it back.

You'd be wrong.

P.P.S. Unless you plan to visit Kerala.

It made its recipient laugh. And reach for a pen.

Author's Note: And here we are again. At the end of another story. I am so very grateful for all of you who have kept me company time and time again with these stories.

I thank you all so much for the love and readership. My words get to dream, travel and have their very own world, thanks to all of you.

Until we meet again for a new story, I hope and wish for happiness for each and every one of you.

Much love,

S.