chap i.

Madeline 

"If you love me let me go!"

I scream my lungs out, ignoring the fact that my mom's just downstairs preparing my breakfast. Oh well, what a nice way to start my day with some good ol music — or must I say, deafening one. Just basically my morning routine, like who the hell cares anyway?

"Will you shut the fuck up? It's just 7 in the morning, you little skank!"

My bad, spoke too soon! Except for my old-hag-neighbor who, unfortunately, resides just beside us, whose window is just like 2 meters away from mine.

"Sorry!"

"Madie, I told you many times to no—"

My mom shouts, making my eyes roll and throw my arms in the air.

"I'm coming!"

I grab my ukulele and head downstairs just to see my mom's arms crossed in front of her. Yes, you guessed that right. It's her loud voice and deathly glare that fill me up every single day.

"I told yo—"

"Yes mom, I said I'm sorry. Now I'm in a hurry, let's see what you've been preparing there cuz I'm about to go somewhere."

I sing with the company of my ukulele to lighten her mood. Kidding aside, mom loves me so much she prepares actual food every morning. For today's breakfast, she cooked spam with crispy sides — yes that's my favorite— scrambled eggs, and fried rice.

"Hi baby!"

I watch Georgina as she hangs herself on her boyfriend's neck. Pretty much like my everyday scenery. Don't get me wrong, I love the both of them. And yes, I'm always the third wheel.

"Hey there, beautiful!"

Jonas carefully lifts her up by her butt, as Gina wraps her legs around his waist. I run my hand through my head, turning my back on them. It's not like I want it to happen to me as well, I just think I should at least give them privacy?

"I love you"

"I love you too"

Especially now that I hear them sucking each other alive.

"Hello? Am I a ghost or something?"

I interrupt, because the last time I checked, we're
about to go to somewhere I don't know.

"Oh yes, sorry Madie. Let's go?"

I shrug, same as saying yes. I hop into Jonas' car and yes, I'm in the backseat, like forever.

As of the moment, we're at this bar I can't even tell if I had seen it my entire life. In all honesty, I really am not the bar-type of person. I'm more into cafe and solemn places. But since it's my bestfriend's day today, I might as well give this a try. So far, it's getting pretty nice for me.

"I'll just get a drink"

"Sure, go on. We'll just be here,"

The music's banging in my ears, I could barely hear myself telling Jonas I'll get a drink. I must say people are wild in here. I can see some like literally eating their partners up.

"Hi, can I have a drink?"

"What kind?"

"I don't know actually, just give me something you think I can handle,"

"Okay sure,"

"Thanks,"

I find myself sitting comfortably on one of those high chairs in a typical bar. I glance on my friends to see if they're still there, and yes, they are, have the time of their lives. Georgina's already 20, I guess it's okay for her to have a good time with her boyfriend for 3 years.

"Miss, here's your drink. I made sure you'll enjoy after drinking it,"

He finishes his sentence with a wink. That's kind of creepy notice but nevermind, maybe the bartender's just being nice to a newbie like me.

I shrug off the thought that maybe he put something in my drink because he noticed I'm new here and that he has something bad going on his mind. I reluctantly smile as I grab the glass from the table. I'm about to take a sip when—

"Stop, you don't want to drink that."

I hear someone say behind me as I feel a cold and damp hand land on my bare shoulder. What the. I stop and slowly place the glass on the table as I turn the chair to see who it is.

"What the fuck is wrong with you, dude?! The pretty lady just wanted to have a drink!"

I am confused with what I heard. I don't know who must I trust. The bartender who's working here in the first place, but with an odd demeanor or this good-looking guy who just stopped me from drinking and only-God-knows-what-he-is-up-to?

"Well maybe she might want to drink mine first since she's just an amateur, then she can have a taste on yours so she can tell which one tastes better?"

How does he fucking judge me as an amateur, he doesn't even know me.