chap iv.

Madeline

A month has passed since Joseph left. Yes, he did. The moment I opened my eyes that morning, the first thing I noticed was the feeling of the empty space beside me. On the bedside table was a note saying, "Madie. I'm so sorry, I think I lost my mind last night. This wasn't supposed to happen. I'm so stupid. Trust me, I really want to see you wake up but it's better off this way, because I don't want to see how regretful you are and it's because of me. I think this will be the end for us, I'm really sorry. Truly, I am. I hope someday, you can still forgive me for everything."

If that ain't bullshit enough for you, I don't know what is. You won't believe what I did after reading that. I cried myself out, and waited for him until Gina called me at 10 pm. They fetched me and as soon as I saw Georgina worriedly sick, I ran to her arms. I cried hard and that was the time I promised myself I will be wiser. I can never forget him, not just because he's my first, but because he's by far the most asshole I've ever met.

"Earth, come back to Madie, please."

Gina kids, snapping her fingers in front of my face.

"Sorry, what were you saying?"

She rolls her eyes and lets out a sigh.

"I said, are you coming with us next week?"

"What about next week?"

"Have you forgotten? It's Jonas' birthday celebration!"

"Oh, yeah, sure."

Joseph

I haven't been sleeping well lately and maybe that's because my guilt starts to devour me. I know what I did was unforgivable, but that was the best choice I had back then. I know, I am a coward. I lied to her. The real reason why I left her that night was because I realized I still haven't moved on from my ex girlfriend. That's why my relationship with Madie was like a rollercoaster. For half a year, I was lying to her. I was afraid of hurting her, but then I know I already did. I've come to my senses that what I did was wrong, and I wouldn't be able to handle it if she has woken up with a smile on her face while deep inside of me, I know I didn't do it out of love. I brought her nothing but pain, and leaving her was probably the best thing I could do so I can't be the reason of her loneliness anymore.

More months have passed and I can tell she's now happier. I'm glad to see her smile again. I just hope she continues to be just like that.

-

Madeline

"Jonas, I'm warning you. I have my eyes on you. If you hurt Gina, I swear to all the people around us right now, I'll be your worst nightmare."

I say cockily, like as if I'm Gina's mom.

"Yes ma'am, this pretty lady deserves the best man. And I'll do whatever I can to deserve that position."

He replies, pointing his finger like a gun on me, clicking his tongue, then winks to Gina. I mimic him and roll my eyes at him.

"Be grateful it's your birthday, I'm just going to say this exclusively. Happy Birthday Jonas, and I'm happy because you're my bestfriend's man."