Ch 4: The Deadly Deal

My wings are getting anxious to fly, but I can't because we might be spotted before we get to the city of Malavor. I wasn't sure where we were going after seeing that convoy, but after bugging him for a day, he finally told me. I was shocked when I heard it, Malavor is one of the most corrupt and evil cities in Vescaria. It's riddled with lots of crime from petty theft to full on murder, it's citizens live in fear every day from all the thugs. It's number 3 of the top 5 worse and scariest places to live in Vescaria. Whatever we're getting from there, it better be worth it, because I'm not going to get killed for him.

"We're just down the way from town Gargamal, we will setup camp here to avoid having to sleep in town," he told me. It says a lot about a place when it's safer camping outside in the wild than sleeping in the city. "I hope you know what you're doing Kalamy, I'll help you in anyways I can. However, If things go south, we're leaving, end of discussion," I say in a demanding tone. "You saying you don't trust me hybrid?" "I trust you about as much as I know you." Which isn't much, only thing I know about him is his name and that he's a wind user. "Well, don't worry your pretty scales too much hybrid. I know what to do, I have people on the inside that can give me information." That doesn't give me much confidence in him. "You sure you don't need me to go with you? I make a pretty good bodyguard if things don't plan out," I tell him in a half sincere tone.

"I'm sure, besides, I can't risk you getting spotted before you become useful." I'm seriously getting sick of his attitude, what did I do to deserve this? I went to get some firewood and he decided to sit there and eat his food, looking at some sheet of paper. It's been a lot of this every time we setup camp. I go get firewood, scavenge for food, and find a place for water. While he just sits there, eating and reading over that sheet of paper. Makes me curious what's on it, I've even asked a few times about it. He just gave me a stern look and said 'none of your business hybrid.' He seems rather attached to that piece of paper, too attached if you ask me.

I finally come back with a few pieces of logs and even found some fruit to eat. I place the logs into a small pit, light it, and laid down to enjoy the night sky. I'm staring at the sky eating some fruit when Kalamy decides breaks the silence, first time he's done that. "You do that every night Gargamal." "Do what?" I retort. "Stare at the same night sky all night until you fall asleep. How can you keep looking at it? It's the same looking sky every night." I responded, "it's either that or keep looking at your ugly mug all night. Personally, I'd rather look at something nicer." For the first time since starting this job, he did something I've had given up trying to do 4 days ago. He cracked a smile. I feel a sense of accomplishment causing him to smile, even if it's a small one.

"I stare because the stars in the sky always look so beautiful. The constellations always change spots. Sometimes, I make up stories as to why they moved. Sometimes, it's a battlefield and they've either gained or lost ground spanning a few nights. Other times, neighboring tribes getting along and trying to help one a other. Its endless possibilities of fun stories to make, just something I like to do to pass the time." After I told him that, he became lost in thought about something. His eyes looked as though they had sorrow to them, longing for something, or someone. "Since we're sharing, why do you constantly look at that paper every night?" He takes a moment to answer as if contemplating telling me. "None of your business hybrid, now quit asking," he responds. His pause before answering tells me that maybe he's warming up to me.

Ever since that weird dream I had after he saved me, I couldn't help but try to decipher what that dragon meant. More importantly, who was he, and how did he get in my head? If that thing is real, then how did a dragon survive being hunted? A long time ago, dragons flew free to any place they wanted. They were greatly welcomed among our people, even hailed as great protectors. We came from the dragons, they made us from mating with humans in the past. After being in the presence of one, I can see why people did it. That dragon had a sense of power to him unlike anything I've ever felt. Even with just his head, he was very intimidating. Something tells me though that that wasn't all of his power I felt, more like a fraction. Either way, I'm terrified of what it is trying to offering me. It may also be what I need to get my revenge and put a stop to the genocide of all hybrids