Open

"Done!"

 18 year old Adelaide Skyes exclaimed as she stepped back and admired her newly groomed stallion. Cloud9, or as everyone called him, Sky neighed in response. Adelaide giggled as she went around picking all types of horse grooming supplies and putting them back in a bucket. She kissed her horse in the muzzle, gave him a pat and made her way out of the stall. 

"No phones in the stable! And that goes for you, Mr. Skyes!" Adelaide punched her older brothers shoulder as she made her way down the hallway. Callum looked up from his phone, while rubbing his shoulder. 

"Yes ma'am" he said and tucked his phone away. 

Adelaide rolled her eyes and entered the tack room. The tack room was surprisingly quiet and empty during the late, lazy hours of that beautiful Sunday evening. She put away the bucket and exited quietly, locking the door behind her. She then heard a scratch behind the tack room door and laughed. 

"Oops, sorry Ashe" she apologized as she unlocked and open the door, she stepped aside as a black and gray spotted she-cat ran out and headed down the long corridor. 

As soon as she was done checking that the hired grooms and staff had done their job and left the stable spotless, she made her way out the barn and up the gravel path toward her house. She entered the house quietly and was on her way up the glass stairs when she heard voices of excitement down in the theater room. Then she heard someone call her. 

"Adelaide, you idiot, get down here!" Callum yelled out loud.

 Adelaide burst out laughing at the sound of her brother's remark. They loved calling each other idiots just for fun. Adelaide made her way down the opposite glass stairs and down to the enormous recreation room below their house. She made her way past the pool table, tennis table, mini soccer tables, and countless paintings hung on the walls. She finally entered a door at the back of the rec room and found her dear family sitted in the comfy, lush, red theater chairs. They looked up at her arrival and waved her over. Adelaide clearly noted the face of excitement they all wore.

 "For you darling" her mother handed her an elegant envelope. She watched her father hand her brother the same envelope.

 "Open them" her father nodded at the envelopes and clasped his hands together.

She finally had the will to look down and plastered on the soft envelope, was a golden official seal reading: "Hartford Cup". She gasped

  Callum had read it too and now had his hand covered over his mouth, only uncovering them to say "Oh my Lord".

 Her mother laughed, and her father smiled. 

"That was basically my reaction to when I first got accepted" Their father said. 

Her mother looked at him and said 

"and then the year after, and then the year after and the year after and the year after.." She held a finger up every time she said it.

"and then you went on and competed in the Olympics" Callum pointed out. 

Their father smiled, "Of course I did". 

Her mother brightened. "You competed in the Kentucky Derby too." Callum and Adelaide opened their mouths in shock.

 "You did!?" They said in unison. 

Her mother gasped and turned toward her father who was biting his lips, trying not to laugh. 

"David Michael Skyes! How could you not tell you're own children that!" 

Her mother slapped her father across the shoulder. Her father couldn't contain it anymore and bursted out laughing. Her mother shook her head hiding a smile herself. 

"Now if you excuse me, I have a movie to watch." Her father sat back comfortably and grabbed the glass bowl next to him filled with popcorn. Her mother reached over and yanked the projector remote out of his hands. Her father blinked at her surprised. 

"What now?" he groaned. 

Her mother put the remote over her lap and her hand over it protectively, her father glanced down at it with a determined look. 

"Children, open the letters" She said. 

Adelaide twisted her mouth as she shakily ripped the top open.

¸ .  ★ ° :.  . • °   .  * :. ☆

° :. ° .☆   . ● .° °★

★  ★°★ .  *  .  °☆  . ● . ★ ° .  • ○ ● .  ☆  ★ ° ☆ ¸. ¸  ★  . • °   .  *

¸ .  ★ ° :. :. . ¸ . ● ¸  °  ¸. * ● ¸ °☆

☆ °☆  . * ● ¸ .   ★¸ .

Thank You For Reading!