Chapter 1

metanoia: the journey of changing one's way of living

Regret was the only feeling Anya felt during the whole flight. Regrets towards Oliver, her friends but mostly towards her father. She left him alone in their house, miles away from her destination Los Angeles. But he didn't care at all. As she told her father about her plans, he only nodded not even looking at her but instead at the screen of the TV, holding a bottle of beer in his hand. Ever since her mother died three years ago in an accident, nothing has ever been the same. Her father, the man who raised with so much loved, never talked to her again and spent days crying in his bed, not moving an inch. She felt alone. She felt unhappy which is why she decided to take this path.

As Anya left the airport, the feeling of regret left within a second. The sky of Los Angeles was drowned in beautiful colors, no signs of any rain. The complete opposite of her home state. She felt welcomed and made her towards the taxis standing at the side of the street.                                   "Hello,  I would like to go to Jane's Motel. It should be somewhere uptown.", she said to the driver while he sits in his taxi smoking a cigarette. He nodded. Anya took her luggage and went to the back of the car to put it in the trunk as suddenly a car stopped right in front of her. "Watch out!", screamed the driver. She looked at the car angrily. "You should be the one to watch out as I'm clearly standing on the parking lot for the taxis!" , Anya screamed back. The car, a black elegant limousine, quickly drove away and she rolled her eyes, watching it drive away as her eyes suddenly catch the attention of a pair of eyes sitting in the back of the limousine. A pair of ice-blue eyes. She shivered and quickly entered the taxi.

The ride to uptown didn't take long much to my surprise. Anya thanked the driver, gave him a tip and focused her gaze on the Motel. It was only a temporary solution for her stay but she first needed to get to know the city and find a job. "Are you the girl from Tennessee?" Anya looked at an older woman, standing in the doorframe. I nodded. "Yes, I'm Anya." The old woman rolled her eyes. "Whatever. Follow me I'm going to show you your room." How nice everyone is. Anya sarcastically thought. She followed the old lady with her luggage into the building. " Here are your keys. If you need anything, ask your phone.", she said. How funny some people are. Anya entered her room which was smaller than expected. But she really didn't care about it. Tiredly she laid down on her bed, closing her days after an exhausting day.