Part 10: New Forest 2

I don't remember the entire night clearly. When I fled into the forest I didn't have any goal other than to get away as far as possible from that damn slaughter. So I just mindlessly charged deeper and deeper into the forest until I felt I was safe. The problem was...I never really felt safe no matter how far away I got. So I just kept running...until I couldn't. This resulted in me, and already wounded wolf, burning all my stamina and collapsing in the middle of the forest at night. 

By then the pierce wound from what I'm guessing was a fireball earlier exploding the wagon had stopped bleeding completely. That's probably thanks too bleeding resistance. I need to find a safe place for me to rest or at least hide. I can already feel my conscious slipping and If I pass out in the middle of this forest I'll be easy prey for any creature looking for a meal. I hastily set my self up against a nearby tree and scanned the area. I noticed my eyesight had improved albeit only a little. Still, it looks like that skill...um...what was it? Increased...no...Heightened yeah that was it. the heightened sense of sight skill. 

[Skill: Heightened Sense of Sight Lv:2(possessed)] 

There it is! It seems this skill also improves my night vision as well. I certainly see better in the dark now. Anyway, these pretty much reminded me of my senses as a wolf. I almost forgot as a wolf I do have the ability to smell and see better. I if I remember I had another skill except it was for smell. Which makes sense, as far as I know, all members of the dog family posses excellent noses. I guess I just have been in either too much shock from being reincarnated or I've been in too much of deadly situation to notice it. One thing I've wondered about is the way some of my skills seem to...replace my own traits. Like night vision for example. Wolves already have that as a trait but I seem to possess as a skill instead. It also seems...weaker than normal. But if I level it up the potential could go beyond the normal limits of a wolf from my world... it's strange. 

Anyway, I need to find a place to hide and quickly. I started to move again but gingerly. I also tested my nose and smelt the air. It was if a whole new set of information had been sitting right in front of me and only now I had decided to access it. This new information had been a lot of scents. Like a lot. Some far weaker than others obviously but I could still pick them out it was amazing. And the surprising thing was I knew a lot of them. I had read once that a dog can remember a human's scent forever. Although It wasn't like that, I could classify a certain thing like that as a whole. In other words, most of the leaves smelt really similar. I guess I had just been taking in scents unconsciously? Well, either way, This is very useful. As I messed around with my new ability's I picked up a certain scent. A weak one. but it was without a doubt there. It was a creature that I had a particularly close encounter with. 

Goblins. I immediately scanned the surroundings for any sight of them. Of course, I knew I wouldn't find any but I couldn't help but check. I had to be sure. If I had any knowledge of how scents worked then, of course, one as weak as this means they wouldn't be here but still. I had the strange urge to follow the scent to find the goblins but common sense shut that idea down quickly. I kept on moving until I eventually found a dead hollowed-out tree. It seemed to just on the verge of collapsing and had a hole about the size of me in it. Perfect I suppose. I crawled in the hole and did my best to sleep in an odd position. 

I woke up the next day feeling oddly refreshed. I got out of the tree after looking around for anything big enough to eat me. The second I landed on the ground I faced a fact all creatures had to. Hunger. Horrible horrible hunger. I realized just how little I had actually eaten in my life as a wolf. If I don't eat I'll die. I looked out to the forest. I need to find something to kill. What's something I would be able to hunt down. As I scanned my mind for anything like this I came to a conclusion. How about a rabbit.