Karen

Karen took a deep breath. 

Today was the day. 

Today she'd get it right.

Today she wouldn't mess up, wouldn't trip over her wizard robes, wouldn't forget a line, wouldn't disappoint her family and friends, and would fully embrace her part. 

She noticed a lot of people in the gathering crowd, including her mother and father. 

She took a deep breath and went to go talk to her friends before the show started. 

"You'll do great," Ruby, who was playing one of the evil witches, said. In reality she was the polar opposite of her part, one of the nicest kids in class. 

Suddenly the lights dimmed. Camera sounds were heard. A baby cried somewhere in the audience. Karen took a deep breath and walked over to a bench. People moved out of her way as she sat down and the spotlight shone on her. Her stomach twisted into painful knots. She took another deep breath and recalled her lines. 

She became Ubine. 

Ubine pulled out a small slip of paper, her eyes shining. 

"Dear Ubine," she read. "You have been invited to Wizards Academy!" She smiled and sat up, walking over to another bench with a few other actors. Among them where her friends Lili and Felix. Lili was playing the part of Etorne and Felix was the powerful wizard Ritior. Ruby was also there, as the young witch Irtiae. 

"New kid," Irtiae snickered, nailing the line. 

"Let her be, Irtiae," Ritior reached up and shook Ubine's hand. "I'm Ritior, and that's Etorne." 

"I'm Ubine," Ubine smiled. Irtiae growled something under her breath and stalked off into another scene on the other side of the gardens. Ubine didn't have to worry about her anymore. 

And so the play went on. A part of the gardens was secured for being the classes, and everyone played their parts wonderfully. 

At the end, Iriae and the other witches and warlocks attacked, and the mighty (animatronic) dragon swooped in to save the day, breathing fire (which was really just a smoke machine with a red light behind it) and scattering the bad guys. Ubine and the others cheered, everyone bowed, and the lights went back on. 

The play was a success!! 

A deafening bellow sounded from the tyrannosaur, as if it, too, was cheering. 

Karen smiled and took another bow, then ran into her parents arms. Tears streamed down their faces and they handed her some beautiful flowers. 

A small kid, maybe an eight-year-old, ran up to Karen, beaming. 

"That was amazing!" he exclaimed. "I want to try it! Can I be your apprentice?" 

Karen laughed. "Sure! What's your wizard name?" 

"Thomas the Mighty Dino Hunter!" Thomas said. "An evil wizard has opened a magic portal which allowed dinosaurs to come through and terrorize the locals, but I shall save them if you teach me magic!" 

"Then let us begin!" Karen smiled. 

Suddenly Forest broke through the crowd, his face the brightest she'd ever seen it since before his sister ran away. 

"That was the best play I've ever seen!" he said. "And I've seen most of Shakespeare's!" 

"Thanks, Forest," Karen gave him a hug. Thomas was still looking up at her. 

"Oh! And this is my apprentice, Thomas the Mighty Dino Hunter," she said, stepping back to motion to the little kid. 

"The magician's apprentice," Forest mused, though Karen didn't know why. A single tear slid down his cheek. 

"You okay-" Karen started. 

Suddenly Forest's face brightened. 

"I am the evil wizard who has opened the portal!" he laughed manically. "I shall release the terrifying Tyrannosaurus rex upon you foolish mortals!" 

And so Karen and Thomas became fast friends. The laughter floated gleefully through the hallways and the tubes going through the dinosaur habitat. The T.rex sat quietly and listened to it.