Chapter 1

((**A/N** Hi again!! I have no idea how fast these chapters are gonna keep coming out, but here we are >.< I'm having a lot of fun!! This story is going to switch back and forth between Sachiko's and Yumi's points of view, but it should be an even swap by chapter. Thank you so much for reading, and please vote/comment/follow!! ❤️💙))

SACHIKO P.O.V

I'm stuck in a limousine with my sister. There's the driver too, of course, but that means very little when he's blocked off from where we're sitting. 

It's the middle of the night, with the moon high and bright. The night feels almost too peaceful to be real. It's been just the two of us, alone in the backseat area, for what's probably been about five hours.

The drive has already been way too long for my taste. I have a book to read, but Yumi keeps bothering me, which makes it pretty hard to focus. I like that she's optimistic, but it gets tiring after a while. I can never quite manage to keep up with her. 

My book is on fairytales-- vampires, to be specific. As in, it's awfully relevant to the current situation. The one where my sister and I are being sent to live in a household of vampire boys. We're Oni from the demon world, so it's not too out of the ordinary. The point is for us to go to college in the same town as the vampire boys, and since our parents are friends with the boys' dad, it makes a lot of sense for us to stay with them. 

Vampires and Oni could stand to get along a bit better, anyway. 

I've never met a vampire in real life. My sister, Yumi, has been to parties with a couple of them, but I've always been the type to stay home. I'd rather be practicing the piano or studying than out flirting with boys and socializing like she does. 

"Hey, Sachiko," Yumi pesters, nudging my shoulder for the third time in the past twenty minutes. "What do you think our new roommates are going to be like?"

"Bloodthirsty, I'm sure," I respond with a small smile. Yumi snorts with laughter. 

"Wow, that was bad... Well, I hope that at least one of them will be handsome! I haven't had a boyfriend in way too long, and I don't think there's any rule against dating them." With another snicker, Yumi flops back against the limo seat. "What about you?"

"I'll be fine if there's a nice library, honestly. I don't think any of them will take much interest in me..." I get crushes easily, sure, but that doesn't mean that guys ever seem to like me back. I'm just nowhere near as outgoing as my sister. And anyway, I've always been pretty content to admire the guys I like from afar.

"I hope someone gets a huge crush on you! You need it! Go have a romance and all, y'know? We're not exactly young, and you still have, like, zero experience."

I blush at that, shutting my book a bit too roughly. 

"L-Look! I think we're here!"

Looking out the window proves, thankfully, that I was right. We're just pulling up to a massive mansion surrounded by the seemingly endless forests. It's gorgeous, but a lot different than our traditional Japanese home. 

When the limo stops, we both get out, grabbing our suitcases and meeting on the driveway. It's... fancy, to say the least. The only real problem is that I can smell blood in the air. As an Oni, my senses are just as strong as those of a vampire, so it's easy to pick up on, but I guess that kind of smell is pretty natural for what we're dealing with. 

"Oooh, it's so big!" Yumi exclaims. "I can't wait to get inside!"

With that, she bolts, running up the driveway and hauling her suitcase behind her. I'm left trailing behind, feeling all kinds of overwhelmed already. 

By the time I get up the front steps, she's already knocking on the front door way too roughly, grinning like an idiot all the while. I can't help but grin. Watching my sister have fun never fails to make me feel all happy too. 

No one answers, though. 

We're left standing outside for a while with absolutely no response. 

Then... Yumi gets the bright idea to try to open the door. 

Because of course, it opens, swinging inward with an ominous creak. The house inside is dark and smells pretty musty-- not exactly pleasant. However, Yumi seems unfazed. 

"Come on, Sachiko! Let's get inside and meet everyone." She grabs my hand and steps inside. As soon as we're past the door, it swings shut behind us, plunging the entry hall into near-darkness, lit only by a couple of dim lamps on the walls here and there.

For a moment, we try to figure out what to do. No one's there to welcome us, so the options seem slim. Should we just start looking? Maybe they didn't get the message in time, or maybe we're just early. Either way, it's getting pretty weird that no one's shown up. Even my sensitive hearing can't pick up a thing. 

"Well," I say, "I guess we should look around...?"

"Yeah... I don't know what else we could do," Yumi seconds, still turning her head to look around. "We'll just have to figure it out."

We start walking, still dragging our luggage. We get through the entry hall, then choose a door against the far wall. With any luck, it'll lead somewhere useful. 

The door opens up to a large living room. It's spacious and nicely decorated, with a lot of couches and other furniture. Everything looks really expensive, but the Western style is a bit of a shock. I'm used to tatami mats and sliding screens, not stuff that looks like it came right out of a Victorian period novel. 

I look around for a moment, starting to feel nervous. What if we're in the wrong place? What if there was some kind of mistake? This could be really, really bad. My nerves are starting to kick in, and bad. 

It's then that I finally catch sight of someone. 

The person is a boy, maybe our age. He's laying on one of the couches, but is obviously tall, with golden hair and fine features. He's wearing what looks like a school uniform, but it's lazily put together and pretty wrinkled. 

For a moment, my heart stops in my chest. Even with his eyes closed, he's gorgeous. I can tell already that this is going to be one major crush.