Chapter 7

((**A/N** Wow, it's been a while since I updated this.... >.> Sorry, everyone. School killed meeeee... Anyway, that chapter image is about how both of the girls are feeling in this one. XD))

SACHIKO P.O.V

Yumi and I spend about a week at the mansion. Not much changes. For the most part, we're both about as bored as it gets. Yumi, especially so. She's always been so high-energy and social; having no one to interact with the boys must be getting old. 

And we keep learning that the boys are jerks. All five of them are about as rude as it gets. 

For being the sons of the vampire king, they sure are hard to deal with. 

The only exception is Shuu, who never seems to do anything wrong. Well, all he really does do is sleep, which means that he doesn't have many chances to be awful. 

And... my crush on him doesn't go away. I spend what's probably more time than I should daydreaming about him. I invade the mansion's library a couple of days in and start finding things to read. These mostly amount to whatever romance novels I can dig up, which is something I hope no one ever finds out about. 

I'm turning into the exact kind of sappy girl I read about, and that's beyond embarrassing. Yumi would tease me endlessly, and the boys...

On top of that, though, I can't forget about what Ayato said. Is my sister really interested in Shuu too? I know that it's probably true, but I'm still in disbelief. The two of us have never had a conflict like this before, and I'm almost scared of where it could go. I don't want to have to fight with her— especially when I know that I'd never win. The longer I think about it, the more depressing it gets. 

Do I even want to be with Shuu? My crush on him might just be shallow, but it feels so real. And not just because he's handsome. I want to get to know him better. I want to be close to him. These desires won't stop making my face painfully red. 

Just as I'm starting a new chapter of my most recently-borrowed book, my phone buzzes with a text from Yumi. 

Hey, Sachi~ Come to my room for a sec, 'kay?

I sigh. Of course, she'd interrupt me now. 

Even so, I put my book away and head to Yumi's room. I haven't been spending much time with my sister since we got here, and that might be part of what's getting to me. I'm used to being with her pretty much constantly. 

When I open the door, Yumi is flopped on her bed in her pajamas, a stick of pocky in her mouth, and her phone in front of her. "Hi, sis!" she says when she notices my entry, then rolls onto her side so she can face me. 

"What did you need?" I sigh fondly as I sit down on her bed. Yumi can be a pest, but we're twins. There's a bond there that never fades. 

"Well... I've been thinking."

"About what?"

"The Shuu situation." Now it's Yumi's turn to sigh. "You know, how we're both crushing way too hard for our own good?"

That gives me pause. I hadn't expected her to say it so bluntly. Then again, this is Yumi, and she's never been one for subtlety. Even so, I'm frozen for a moment. I can feel my cheeks flushing. Being called out like that is way too embarrassing. 

"Wh-What do you mean...?" I ask hesitantly. I hope that she doesn't decide to tease me too much over this. 

"I mean that we're going to have problems if we don't talk about it. Tell me, Sachi. How do you feel about Shuu? We need to be on the same page here, or it's gonna get nasty. Trust me. I've shared crushes before, and it gets messy fast." Yumi sounds dead-serious, which is rare for her. I'm surprised at how intense she's being. 

"I, um... I-I like him," I manage. "A lot. I don't know why, but I'm drawn to him. I w-want to be with him." My face is quickly turning scarlet. I've never talked about a crush like this before. Especially to someone who likes the same man. 

"That's what I thought. Well, I'm about the same. He's sexy, he's charming, and I wanna be his girlfriend. That's where I stand."

"Y-Yumi!" I can't believe she can just say that.

"What? It's true. And that brings me to my next problem." She turns her phone off and sets it aside. "We need to decide what we're going to do about this. If we both just go at it, it'll end in hurt feelings and issues. So, Sachiko, do you want to try for him? Are you gonna compete with me this time?"

Compete with her? Considering my sister's history with men, that sounds terrifying. There's no way I'd ever win. I can't even imagine someone choosing me over Yumi. But... I still can't give up, can I? I'm invested too, and I don't want to cave that easily. 

"Yeah, I will," I say with more firmness than I was expecting. "I can do it. I-I'm not going to be mad at you, but... yeah. I'll try my best!"

"Good!" Yumi grins. "I'd hate to make you quit like that. It's not going to be easy for you, though. I'll be giving it my all too. I want Shuu's attention on me, and you'll have to work hard to beat me." Despite the harsh words, Yumi is smiling teasingly... and she looks almost proud. 

"I won't make it easy for you, either."

"I wouldn't expect anything less. You're my cute twin sister, after all. If anyone can be a challenge to me in getting a guy's attention, it'd be you."

Somehow, I can't help but smile too. It's definitely going to be tough, but we can keep this friendly, right? It's hard to picture anything with my sister getting nasty, but even so... I have a bit of a bad feeling. 

There's nervousness in my chest. I want to win. It's a weird way to think of a crush, but now that' it's a competition, losing would just make me feel pathetic. 

I'll do my best, that much is for sure.