The Thief's New Mission

Haibara's POV

Shinichi came over to Agasa's to do a quick stop by. He does it everyday that he can remember. When I saw him, he didn't look too good. He looked like he hadn't slept well. Has he been working on cases again and not sleeping? Kudo really just needs to stop and sleep. Maybe I'll have Kaito look after him. I am trying to help those two helpless souls. Ran filled me in that Kudo likes Kuroba and Aoko told me that Kuroba liked Kudo. For a detective that typically has a "keen eye", as he says, he missed the most obvious fact that his friend likes him. He may be a great detective but he is hopeless for romance. Hmmmm. I wonder if I should get him a romance novel and have him read it. It would be something new than a mystery novel.

Kaito's POV

Three days had passed since I had been over at Shinichi's house. We still got together and hung out, but he was more quiet. He kept avoiding me whenever it was just the two of us. Did I do something to him? I really wish I knew what was bugging him. I didn't like how he was keeping secrets from me.

Did he find out that I like him? Did I make things awkward between us? No, he would have told me. That's how he is. He gets to the point. I decided I wanted to see why he was avoiding me. I really wanted to find out why. I saw that he was turned from me, leaning against the wall. I walked up to him and tapped his shoulder. He jumped. He seemed startled. Why was he so jumpy?

"Oh, sorry. I didn't mean to scare you."

"Nah, it's fine."

I did feel bad that I scared him, but it almost felt like he was...... asleep? Has he been getting enough sleep? I thought about it, and Shinichi really does get wrapped in cases and forgets that he is only human. I tend to get wrapped in finding Pandora. I need to ask him if he is bugged by a case. I was about to say something to him, when my phone rang.

"Hello?"

"Hello, Kuroba."

"Oh, hey Haibara, what's up?"

"Is Kudo near you?"

"Uh yeah. He's right...."

"Don't give him any clue I am talking to you about him."

"Listen, Aoko told me that you like Kudo..."

"SHE TOLD YOU WHAT?!?!?!"

"Yes, I know. At this point, the only one who doesn't know, is Kudo."

I glance over at Shinichi. He had looked at me when I shouted. I really thought he knew..... I was about to ask him if he was avoiding me because of my crush on him. I almost told him. Thank you Haibara.

"Are you sure he doesn't know?"

"Kaito. It's Kudo. The only thing he is ever certain on is a case. He is blind to anything dealing with love."

"If you know that he is blind, why don't you just tell him?"

"................ Aoko put you up to this, didn't she?"

"Not completely. But I am worried about him. Last time he came over to Agasa's, he looked tired and scared. He avoided answering any questions I had about what he was scared about, and he wouldn't tell me."

I turn away from Shinichi and whisper into the phone.

"Could it be the Black Organization?"

"No, he would have told me. I used to work for them, remember? Anyway, do you think you could keep an eye on him for me?"

"Why me?"

"You are a phantom thief, you break into high secure places all the time, I'm sure Kudo's house will be a downgrade."

"You might be right about that. I could also plant bugs around his house. Little cameras."

"Like the ones on your doves?"

"........... Maybe."

"Fine. Do what you think is best, but just tell me if anything seems off?"

"Would him randomly falling asleep count?"

"Yes, but why do you ask?"

"As I was trying to tell you, he is next to me. He is leaning against the wall and is asleep........ Again."

"Again? Jeez, maybe you should take him home."

"Uh, we are nowhere close to his house and I don't think that I could carry him back the whole way."

"Then take him to your house."

"What?"

"He is clearly fatigued and you said you would keep an eye on him. Just take him to your place and have him rest for a bit."

"Fine. And I'll let you know if anything goes on with him."

"You better. I have to go now. Bye."

With her saying the final goodbye, she hung up. I let out a sigh and looked at Kudo. How could a great detective such as Kudo, not realize that I have feelings for him? I don't know if that is a good thing or if I should feel disappointed. I took Shinichi's right arm and put it around my neck. With my left arm, I held onto his waist and brought him to my house. People gave me strange looks. Considering who I was with, they could just think I was his twin. I hate that. I am not related to him. I like him and if we were related, that would be strange. I always found it kinda funny that I could fall for someone who could be called my twin. What were those odds?

When we got to my house, Aoko was waiting at the front steps. When she saw me carrying Shinichi, she smiled. Clearly, what she was thinking was that I confessed. I held a finger to my mouth and mouthed to her to open the door. When we got inside, I laid Shinichi down on my bed and closed the door. I walked down to Aoko who wanted me to tell her what happened.

A/N: Hey, I am sorry for being slow with this update for this story, I was working on other things and I finally figured out what I wanted to do with this chpater. Names for chapters are not my thing, but I will figure that out too. I hope you are all safe and well. See you in the next chapter. 

~Akira