chapter one

"When we are in love we seem to ourselves quite different from what we were before."

-Blaise Pascal

GERALT SAT ALONE IN THE HALLWAY OF THE MANOR WITH YENNIFER. He was realizing what had just happened and what he wished for.

"Fuck," he grunted while standing to his feet. "Amelia is going to be pissed."

"Amelia, is that the woman who you've vowed to love forever?" Yennifer asked curiously and Geralt looked at her like he was just now realizing she was there. "The lock of hair that obviously isn't yours that you have braided into your own gave it away."

"Hm," he grunted and dusted off his clothes.

"That's a pretty big commitment," Yennifer commented. "The people of Traven don't take that very lightly."

He just stared at her. "Yeah, that's the point." He started to walk away.

"Geralt, where are you going?" her voice traveled into his mind again, her scent floating into his senses. His mind almost submitted to her spell, but then he heard Jaskier's voice snap him out of it.

"Geralt! You're alive!" The bard cheered and a small smile appeared on Geralt's lips as he climbed out the window where Jaskier and the elf doctor were standing. Geralt seemed to like Jaskier more because he shared blood with Amelia.

It was like she was with him in a way.

"Jaskier," he lead the bard away to where Roach was.

"Do you know how worried I was for you?" The bard yelled. "I thought I failed Amelia! I thought I failed you!" He continued rambling until he saw the smile on Geralt's face. "What has got you so chipper? You almost died!"

"Jaskier, I wished she was awake." Geralt said and the bard's jaw unhinged. "That's what I used my last wish on."

"You--you--oh my heavens." Jaskier leaned heavily on Roach, his eyes still on the witcher. "She is going to be so pissed."

"I know." Geralt mounted Roach and the helped Jaskier get up. "But she's awake."

"So, we're going to Traven?" Jaskier asked, clearly excited. "We're going to get Amelia?"

"We're going to get Amelia."

♘ ♘ ♘

Geralt estimated that it would take three weeks to get to Amelia. Hopefully, she just stayed where she was and didn't come for him.

"Three weeks." Jaskier clapped his shoulder. "We can do this, Geralt."

"Hm." Geralt hadn't had a goodnight's sleep in ten years, he wanted to djin to help him with that, but instead, he got Amelia back.

"Amelia," Geralt's voice echoed through the graveyard and she turned back to look at him. She was just so beautiful, everything he could ever ask for. A gentlewoman with a kind heart. 

He loved her so much. This was the last time she would be awake.

 "I--I love..." He stumbled over his words. He felt the frustration bubble in his chest and he huffed. He wanted to say it to her. He wanted to so badly, so why couldn't he?

"It's okay, Geralt. I know." Amelia gave him a watery smile. "I love you, too." 

He felt a slight sense of relief that she knew. Her back turned to him and she raised the satchel over the altar. Geralt held his breath as Amelia dropped her satchel on the altar.

Geralt rushed forward as she collapsed to the ground. He held her in his arms, knowing fully she wouldn't wake up. Geralt placed his ear on her chest and held his breath again.

He sighed in relief as he heard her heartbeat thudding at a steady pace in her chest. And for the first time in his life, Geralt believed in destiny. Geralt gathered Amelia in his arms and carried her out of the gravesite.

"Geralt..." Jaskier's voice cracked as he approached. "You're crying."

Geralt had never cried in his entire life, but then again, before he met Amelia, he had never loved before either.

Geralt shook his head and cleared his head of his thoughts.

He needed to see her.