chapter seven

"We accept the love we think we deserve."
-Stephen Chbosky

AMELIA DIDN'T FALL ASLEEP WHEN GERALT DID. She hasn't been able to sleep the month she had woken up. She secretly hoped that making love with Geralt would tire her out, just as it did before the curse was broken, but to no avail.

Don't get her wrong, she felt like she was floating on air and may not be able to walk for a short period of time, but she felt energized. Amelia sighed and just watched Geralt sleep, running her fingers over his face and into his hair.

This went on for a few hours before Geralt's eyes fluttered open. He grunted and pulled Amelia closer to him.

"You didn't sleep." He mumbled, his voice husky with sleep.

"I haven't slept since I've woken up," Amelia replied while smiling pleasantly. "But that's okay."

Geralt's amber eyes flashed with concern before he reached upward to touch her face. "You haven't slept in a month?"

Amelia chuckled and placed her hand over his. "I think after ten years of missed time with you I've had enough sleep. I just want to be with you, Geralt." He just sighed and then held her against his chest.

Amelia sighed and listened to the steady beating of Geralt's heart. His fingers ran through her hair before he spoke. "I'm worried about you, Amelia."

"I'm worried about you, Geralt," She replied, lifting her head to look at him. "You haven't claimed the Child Surprise and now I fear when Cintra may fall."

"Cintra was doomed to fall." Geralt shook his head. "It wasn't because of some--"

"How do you still not believe in destiny?" She asked, apparent hurt in her voice that she didn't mean to let slip through. "I sacrificed myself for my whole kingdom built on fate and a curse. You saw the whole thing. Destiny brought us together."

"Amelia--"

"We never would've met if it weren't for the curse, Geralt, you know that. We were from two different worlds and our paths would have never crossed and we certainly never would've fallen in love."

"What does that mean?" He asked stiffly and Amelia quickly backpedaled.

"I didn't mean that, my love." She brushed stray hairs out of Geralt's face. "I meant that if we didn't spend those few months together and traveling, we wouldn't have fallen in love. You know that."

"You're right." He grunted. "I'm not one to...feel, very often."

"Geralt, I won't let you run from something that's your destiny." Amelia shook her head, her long fawn-colored hair tumbling over her shoulder. "You mean too much to me."

The two looked at each other for a long time. "I do mean too much to you." Geralt's words had heavy connotations that made Amelia's heart race. "Think about it, Amelia. I can't give you children."

"Who the fuck said I wanted children?" Amelia sat up in bed, the blanket secure around her chest. "Who said that? Because I never said that."

"I can't give you anything, Amelia." Geralt also sat up in bed, his burning amber gaze on Amelia's. "A marriage would be futile. Me in the royal court? Married in, nevertheless."

"Yes, I remember you saying you find royalty best in small doses." She laughed bitterly, remembering what Geralt said to Mousesack at Paveta's banquet. "If you don't want to be part of my world, then just say so."

"It's not that, Amelia." Geralt groaned. "Witchers are sterile and are made to hunt monsters."

"I'm not saying I want a family or a boring life to settle down. I certainly don't want to spend the rest of my life in this castle." Amelia broke away from Geralt and started to dress. "I don't want anything but you, Geralt."

Amelia wobbled to her feet and pulled a thick coat over her shoulders.

"Amelia, don't leave me." There was something in Geralt's voice that jarred Amelia. There only the slightest detection of fear. "Come back to bed."

"I'm not going to leave you." She said gently. "Dinner is prepared at this time, so let's go eat."

Geralt dressed wordlessly and slowly. Amelia could tell he was tense from their fight, so she walked over and kissed his shoulder while wrapping her arms around his torso.

"C'mon, witcher." She tossed him his sword while drawing her own. "Show me what you've got."

A wry smile crossed Geralt's face. "You're ten years out of practice, princess. I think I'll beat you on this one."
"Put your sword where your mouth is, my love." Amelia lunged, which Geralt dodged easily and then countered with his own attack. What Geralt didn't know, is that in her time in the castle she just trained for days on end. It also helped that she didn't need to sleep.

Amelia twirled the hilt of her sword in her fingers, then attacked full force. It was apparent to Amelia that since she woke up, she was faster and more nimble than she was before the curse was broken.

Geralt was caught off guard by this but also pushed harder. She had improved her fighting with more grace than Geralt had seen in most of his competitors before. She twirled and blocked with her sword like it was just another body part.

"I have a feeling someone has been training nonstop for a month." Geralt huffed slightly as a slight sweat broke out on his forehead. Amelia chuckled and wiped at her brow.

"The only thing I could do when I waited here for you was to train and think about all the nasty things I would do when I saw you again." She teased and heard an audible growl escape from Geralt's throat before she lunged again.

The soothing sound of metal clashing together and the two lover's breath heaving calmed the both of them. They broke apart again and circled each other.

"I also have a feeling that you're afraid I'm going to leave you again," Amelia stated carefully. "And once I see that you are all that you have to offer, that I'll leave."

Geralt wiped the back of his hand against his brow, his burning amber eyes studying her closely with each word she spoke.

"But I know what you have to offer, and you are more than enough." Amelia sheathed her sword. "In fact, you are all I want. I couldn't ask for someone better than you."

"Hm." Geralt grunted, looking at the sword in his hands. "I just know..." He paused again and Amelia waited patiently, knowing that the witcher wasn't good with words. "How great of a mother you would be."

Amelia could easily detect the pain lacing his voice, making her heartache. "Geralt..."

"I can see it so clearly in my head, Amelia." Geralt dropped his sword on the bed. "I hate that I can't give you that. Even if you don't want one now, what if you did years down the road?"

"Then destiny will give us one, my love." Amelia went to Geralt and placed her hand on his face. "We're in this together. It's always been like that ever since the day we met."

"We're in this together." He repeated, closing his eyes and leaning his forehead on hers.

"Always."

A/N: hey guys!! im sorry for the late upload, i'm still having technical difficulties & with the whole Corona thing going about it's hard to write. thank you for all the love & support, i'll see you in the next chapter!!