chapter two

"Missing someone is your heart's way of reminding you that you love them."

-Nikolas Sparks

AMELIA DIDN'T HAVE FULL CONTROL OF HER LEGS, DUE TO HER SLEEPING FOR TEN YEARS. Though she wasn't the most patient person of all time, she worked hard so that when Geralt came, she would be in working order.

She couldn't have imagined how hard it was for him to bring her sleeping form all the way back to Traven. 

Her brothers mentioned that for a time that Jaskier visited more often because he lived closer to Traven and didn't travel with Geralt. That only lasted for a few years before that bard needed new material and he hitched a ride with Geralt again.

"He always sat in a chair nearby and told you stories of his travels." Nathaniel's voice broke Amelia of her thoughts as she gazed out a window and fiddled with Geralt's medallion that was around her neck.

"I wish I could've heard it." Amelia smiled faintly before heisting herself out of her chair.

"What do you remember?" He asked and Amelia sighed softly while looking at the ceiling of her room.

"I remember a lot of moments when we were children. All four of us." She willed herself to take a step while bracing an arm on a wall and a cane in her other hand. "They were like I was living a memory. I dreamed of Geralt and Jaskier."

Her brother crossed her arms and sat on her bed. "It's funny you wake up now, I need you more than ever."

"Oh?" Amelia raised a brow at her brother. "Well, then go ahead, little brother. Tell your sister what you need to hear."

"I think that technically, you're the baby of the family now, sister." Nathaniel teased as Amelia focused on trying to walk properly.

"Over my dead body," Amelia growled, shooting him a playful glare. "Now, what's on your mind, my dear brother?"

"I'm set to marry the Countess of Arden." He said and Amelia nodded slowly.

"Yes...?"

"But I'm in love with Bridget." He blurted out.

"Oh, my g--" Amelia laughed loudly and clapped a hand over her mouth. "My maid, Bridget?"

"Say it louder, maybe the whole kingdom didn't hear you that time." He hissed and Amelia broke out in laughter.

"Brother, you know that you can marry who you want." Amelia struggled to sit next to him on the bed. "You don't need to marry the Countess if you don't want to."

"That's the thing, I want to marry the Countess."

"You--" Amelia pinched the bridge of her nose and then grabbed her brother's shoulder. "Oh, you rascal. We have much to catch up on, and I have much to teach you about women."

"It's easy for you to say, Amelia! You have your witcher!" He exclaimed and Amelia laughed softly.

"That is true." Amelia slung her arm over his shoulders. "But we will figure out which muse of yours you will pick."

"Thanks, Amelia." He leaned his head on his sister's shoulder and she chuckled.

"Of course, you dimwit." She ruffled his hair and laughed. "Now, who has Jospeh lined up for marriage?"

"He's got quite a few women from quite a few lands." Nathaniel sighed, falling back into the bed. "It's a fucking headache."

Amelia chuckled while doing the same, shoulder to shoulder to her brother. "Oh, dear. We'll get through this together, me and you."

"Yeah," he said, faintly. "It's good to have you back, Amelia."

"It's good to be back, Nathaniel." The sibling laid there for a while until their eldest brother walked into Amelia's quarters. "Hello, King Joseph. Would you care to contemplate life with your siblings?"

"Don't call me that, Amelia." Joseph chided, but flopped onto the bed with them. "I've just kicked out Maria of Scottland from my marriage choosing."

"Ah, not having Scottland's alliance won't hurt us too much." Amelia shrugged her shoulder. "That is, if their army the same as they were ten years ago."

"They're the same." Joseph grumbled. "She was so hard to understand, as well. It was a shame because she had a lovely set of--"

"Joseph." Amelia scolded. The two boys laughed at Amelia's scolding.

"Sorry, Amelia, we're not used to having women around the house." Nathaniel laughed as Amelia punched his arm.

"You mean you're not used to having manners?" She snapped and smacked Joseph on the head.

"Okay, okay, okay!" He laughed and dodged Amelia's hit. "We'll behave, we swear."

"Yeah, you better." Amelia glared while shaking her head. "Good Lord, you boys."

They shared a laughed and then it fell silent. Amelia wore a smile on her face as her arms were hooked in her brothers. Things seemed to be looking up.

"Amelia?" Joseph broke her from her thoughts. "Do you really love the witcher?"

"Yes. I do." She answered immediately. "He has a hard and mean exterior, but he's all fluff when you get to know him."

"And he loves you?" Joseph asked.

Amelia smiled softly. "Yes, I believe so."

"Of course he does, you royal pain in my ass." Nathaniel smacked Joseph's arm. "He put a lock of her hair in his."

"You're just so lucky destiny just tossed you two together like that." Joseph smacked Nathaniel back. "I have to think of marriage like a chess game. Always five steps ahead. For once, I would like to fall in love."

"Well, if it makes you feel better, Geralt doesn't believe in destiny," Amelia said, matter-of-factly. 

Her brothers looked at her. "He doesn't?"

"Oh no," She waved the idea off. "In fact, when we were in Cintra for Pavetta's banquet, he accidentally claimed a Child Surprise."

"Oh yeah, we heard about that," Nathaniel said thoughtfully. "Do you think that's why Nilfgaard is rising?"

"Nilfgaard is rising?" Amelia asked, concern in her voice. "Does our alliance still stand?"

"Oh yes," Joseph replied. "To both things. We were with Nilfgaard when everyone else was against them since the dawn of time. They say Cintra's next."

"Oh, that large oaf. Running from destiny, as always." Amelia shook her head. "When I get my hands on that buffoon--"

"Ah sister, with Cintra's men, there's no way that they can be overthrown. There are too many of the Cintran warriors." 

"I just hope Geralt gets here soon." Amelia sighed.