chapter eight

A/N: hey guys! i'm really sorry about the delay, there were some emotional/mental issues with the whole global pandemic. that's why there was such a large gap. I'm also writing a new story that I'll talk about at the next chapter.

"When someone else's happiness is your own, that is what love it. It won't matter where you are, it just matters if you're with them."

-unknown

THE DINNER TABLE WAS FILLED WITH HAPPINESS AND BRIGHT CONVERSATION, WHICH GERALT HADN'T HAD IN YEARS. Looking at Amelia laughing next to him and touching his arm made him feel alive again. Those ten years she was gone, he felt nothing as if he was just a walking corpse.

If it hadn't been for Jaskier sticking by his side most of the time, Geralt would have lost his mind. He admitted that it having Jaskier around, for the most part, did make him slightly happy since he knew Amelia's blood ran through his veins due to their blood oath.

But now she was here. Flinging food at Jaskier's head and then acting like she hadn't done a thing.

"So," Joseph put down his fork and called everyone's attention to him. "Geralt, we've gotten to know each other throughout these past ten years."

"Yes, Your Majesty." He responded while brushing a stray hair behind Amelia's ear. He felt his own eyes gleam with fondness.

"Now, are we going to talk about marriage?" The king asked and Amelia choked on her ale. Geralt smiled softly at the ground, taking Amelia's hand in his own.

"Stay out of my love life, brother." She warned pointing a fork at the king. "All of us were just reunited we don't need to think of such things."

"I personally don't care when you two marry." Nathaniel shrugged, taking a drink of his own ale. "You obviously love each other, why rush things?"

"Because there would be consequences on Geralt's end if he were to marry Amelia." The king's words caught everyone by surprise.

"What exactly do you mean by that, Your Majesty?" Jaskier's voice was cautious as he eyed the steak knife that was near Amelia's hand. Geralt saw Jaskier's panic and took the knife away from Amelia's side slowly to not draw any attention to it.

"Geralt. If you marry Amelia, you will be part of the royal family. Are you ready for that?"

"Joseph." Amelia snapped, her hand going to where her steak knife was, but to find nothing. Geralt and Jaskier exchanged a knowing look as she balled up her fist.

"Yes." Geralt replied nearly instantly. "When the time comes, I will be ready."

There was a small silence. Amelia met Geralt's eyes and he squeezed her hand in reassurance.

"She's next in line for the throne. If something happens to me--" Joseph started and Amelia cut him off.

"Nothing will happen to you, brother." Amelia gripped Geralt's hand and he gently rubbed his thumb across the back of her hand. "We don't need to worry about that."

"I know you're concerned, Your Majesty, but Amelia and I have been thrown together in some way that I can't explain. But I know that before Amelia I don't believe I was living." Geralt saw Amelia look at him from the corner of his vision. "I've pledged my loyalty to her, and I live by my word."

There was another silence that Geralt for the first time felt nervous. He realized that in this moment, he was asking permission to marry Amelia. He didn't know when, but he knew he would marry the princess of Traven.

"You have my blessing." Joseph spoke and Geralt let out a breath he didn't know he was holding. "When the time comes, you can marry Amelia."

"We didn't need your blessing, but glad you said something." Her voice was sarcastic, but underneath Geralt saw how relieved she was.

"You've always been the heart in the family, Amelia." He said, rubbing the back of his neck nervously as he spoke. "Sometimes you need someone to watch over you. I'm trying to be the best brother I can."

"You've always been a good brother, Joseph." Amelia straightened her back. "But after the execution, we're going to leave."

"Yes, we figured." Prince Nathaniel said, a soft smile on his features. "We've always known we couldn't contain you."

"As you should, in my opinion." Jaskier commented and Geralt shot him a glare. "What? I'm allowed to say such things, the prince and I are rather good friends now."

"Amelia," Geralt said, grabbing her attention. "This excution, I heard it was for a man that laid his hands of a lady of the court. I assume that was you?"

The brother burt out laughing at the memory. Amelia's jaw tightened slightly. "There was a man who claimed my father promised him my hands in marriage when I was asleep. Then he said he killed a witcher in cold blood in his sleep."

Rage flickered in her light blue eyes as she recounted the story. "Then he insulted me for not being a virgin and then I decided he should die."

"I'll kill him with my bare hands if it would please you." Geralt nearly growled, making Amelia smile.

"And let you have all the fun, my love?" She lovingly cupped the side of his face and Geralt looked at her adoringly.

"You two are made for each other," Jaskier said, sounding disgusted. "Anyway, it is quite late and we have an execution tomorrow, we should get to bed early." he pointed at Geralt and Amelia. "I am talking to you two. This castle is big but for fucks sake, does sound travel."

Amelia burst out in laughed, grabbing onto Geralt's arm. He just smiled at the sound of her laugh that he had missed so much.

"That is not a joke," Jaskier scoffed and got up from the table. "For once in our friendships, please take me seriously."

"I won't make any promises, Jask," Amelia gave her friend a sly wink, who responded by groaning and rolling his eyes heaven-ward.

"I ask for one nice thing."

The group split their separate ways and Amelia leads Geralt to her chambers again. Geralt felt content with Amelia's hand in his as they walked down the castle's darkened corridors. 

"So," Geralt has never felt awkward in his life until this moment. "They really want us to marry."

Amelia opened the heavy doors leading into her room and Geralt passed her as he entered. She laughed nervously and started to strip into her night clothes.

"Yeah, sorry about dinner." Geralt sat on the edge of her bed and watched her throw on a long night shirt. "They're protective, that's all."

"Hm." Geralt had a frown fixed on his face. Amelia climbed into bed and onto Geralt's lap while placing her arms on his shoulders. He gazed up at her and she laughed, feeling his concern seep out of his gaze.

She placed a soft and lingering kiss on his lips. "What I know, my love, is that I love you. It doesn't matter if we're married or not." Her fingers picked up the lock of her own hair that was intertwined with his with a fond smile on her face. "We're in this together."

Geralt kissed her again, holding her face between his two hands. "I love you, too, princess." A small smile turned up his lips. "But I will marry you, Amelia Rosalina Gracelyn of Traven."

A bright smile broke out on Amelia's face, making Geralt's chest warm. She gingerly traced her thumb over his cheekbone.  "I know you will, Geralt of Rivia."