Chapter 36 - Noah

Since the moment I left Lena's house, I couldn't shake the feeling that something bad was going to happen. Not necessarily a superstitious person, I didn't think anything of it and went back to my hotel.

While I waited for Lena to finish work, I tried to figure out what the hell I was going to do about Azrael. He clearly wasn't backing off and I couldn't beat him without help.

I pulled out my phone and decided to ask Eli for a favor.

I need you to check the study for anything that could help me against Azrael. I'm desperate.

Figuring my brother was busy, I focused on sorting my laundry so that I could send it out with the maid in the morning. Buzzing on the bed, I picked up my phone a few minutes later. My brother replied:

I'll see what I can do.

Hopefully Eli would find something—anything—that could help me. I wasn't strong enough to take Azrael on by myself but, the study was a great place to start looking for answers.

After a quick shower, I decided that the club would probably be dead enough for me to hang around. It was nearing ten o'clock by then and I was getting anxious with Lena being at the club with Dorian. More than Dorian, I was worried about Azrael—he was the real threat.

Putting on a fresh collard shit, I rolled the sleeves up to my elbows and headed out the door. On the road to the club, I still felt the feeling that something was off. I didn't know what it was exactly but it made me drive a little faster to get to Lena.

Parking in the nearly empty lot, it didn't seem like a busy night. I walked towards the entrance and the second I opened the door, I knew undoubtedly that something was wrong.

Where was Lena?

Walking in, I headed to the bar but there was no one around—no bartender and no customers. The cocktail waitress Haley was splitting her time between two tables but otherwise the place was dead.

Looking around for Lena, I decided to check the back office where Jacob had led me to a traumatized Lena the first night Azrael showed up but, it was empty. I was about to head back to the bar when I passed a second door that lead out to the loading dock where I found Lena sitting with Dorian the other night.

I paused and reached for the the doorknob.

And that's when I smelled his scent.

Azrael.

Bursting through, on the other side of the door stood Azrael and Lena.

I'll kill him with my bare hands!

"Get the fuck away from her!" I snapped and lunged at Azrael as he pinned Lena against the walk-in refrigerator.

Yanking Lena from between Azrael and the fridge, I tucked her behind me as I prepared myself for the inevitable brawl.

Expecting Azrael to attack, he only stood there and looked at Lena behind me. I was on guard but, he wasn't making a move.

"It's nice to see you, too." Azrael said nonchalantly after he lowered his hand from where he had Lena secured against the door.

"What the fuck are you doing here?" I spat at him and I could tell that he was trying hard not to come at me, too.

"I'm just checking to see if Lena is okay." He said as if that were his place.

"Stay away from her." I warned him but he was only amused at my outburst.

"You two seem to confuse me with someone that takes orders from a reaper." Azrael laughed but neither Lena or I moved. "I call the shots, remember?"