Chapter 50 - Noah

It took every ounce of self control that I had not to rush into the club looking for blood. I was right and Azrael hadn't waited long before seizing his opportunity. I could only imagine what lies he'd been filling Lena's head with since I left her.

I should never have left her.

Fuck.

No matter how much I fucked up, I should have refused to leave. I knew that Azrael would be there if I wasn't and I knew that giving Lena space would end up biting me in the ass.

Now what?

Trying to see past the rage that blinded me, I knew I couldn't just rush into the club because I was already severely outmatched. Azrael allowed me to live and I wasn't sure how much longer he would be honoring the deal with Lena. At any moment, he could dispose of me with a flick of his wrist.

Fuck it.

I wasn't going to stand there while Azrael was in the club with Lena. Even if Lena still hated me and didn't want to hear a word that I had to say, at least I was there—like I should have been earlier.

Debating if I should kick over the expensive red motorcycle, I huffed my way past and pushed through the entrance to the club. Music blared from inside and as expected, I could sense Azrael immediately. Scanning the thin crowd, I spotted him at the bar and he was chatting up Lena casually as if nothing was wrong.

Making my way over, I realized that Lena didn't seem to be in distress as she stood behind the bar nonchalantly with her hand almost flirtatiously on her hip.

Was I seeing things?

No, I wasn't seeing things—just like I wasn't seeing things when Lena caught sight of me walking towards her and the semi-smile on her face quickly turned to a look of utter dread.

Fuck, she hates me.

Reaching the bar, I could recognize Azrael's broad backside but he didn't turn to face me. Knowing what he was capable of, he probably smelled me in the parking lot a while ago. If anything, he'd been expecting me.

Lena stared over the bar at me in disbelief and suddenly, I wasn't so sure what to say. I didn't count on Azrael being there and all of the things I had to Lena was meant to be said in private.

"Noah..." her voice trialed off and I could see the pain cross her face at the sight of me. As horrible as I already felt, it was only intensified by the way she stared at me.

"What the fuck is going on?" I asked bluntly after I glanced around at the nearly-empty bar where only Azrael sat.

"Nice to see you too, Noah." Azrael joked but I was far from in the mood for his games.

"What are you doing here?" Lena asked me and it felt like she took a sledgehammer to my chest.

What the fuck was going on? The whole situation was warped; it was wrong. I wasn't the stranger there. I was the boyfriend that sat protectively at the bar and made sure that Lena was safe. She was supposed to be asking Azrael what he was doing there, not me. Everything was backwards and it was making me nauseated.

"We need to talk." I said to Lena as I tried my hardest to ignore Azrael entirely.

"I'm working." Lena reminded me and I glanced down at my watch. It would still be a few hours before she finished.

"I can wait." I said simply as I sat a few seats down from Azrael and crossed my arms on the bar top.

Lena looked at Azrael and that's when I nearly lost it. What was she looking at him for? Approval? No fucking way.