Hound and Demon's ANBU mission part two

"Do you smell that?" I asked as Kakashi and I came to a stop on a branch right before a small building

"Iron?" Kakashi asked sniffing the air

"Blood" I whispered, a shiver shot down my spine

I scanned the nearby area, trying to see if I could sense any chakra but there was nothing. Just the faint smell of blood coming from the building. Kakashi and I looked at each other for a moment before I gave him a small nod and we continued on to the small building ahead. I put all my sense on high alert as Kakashi and I made our way through the rundown building.

"It looks like this place was used for experiments" Kakashi said as he opened a door to a lab

"Look" I pointed to a figure floating in a tank "Renji seems to be up to his old tricks"

"Come on, there are a few more rooms we need to check out"

Kakashi and I walked back out the door and headed down the hall. He took the door on the left and I took the one on the right. I turned the handle to a heavy steel door and slowly pushed the door open. The smell of iron filled my nose as I looked around at the blood covered walls. There were bodies all over the place, none of them living. I walked all the way in, examining the people that laid at my feet. It looked like they had been ripped apart by an animal. Trying to find any scent of Renji in this place is going to be next to impossible.

"Hey, I think I found something!" Kakashi yelled from the other room

I took one last look around the room, I felt sick to my stomach seeing all these innocent people. A surge of anger flooded my body as I thought about Renji, I couldn't wait to get me claws on him. I shook the thoughts away and peaked over Kakashi's shoulder as he read through the pages of a journal.

"What's that?" I asked

"It looks like they were tracking the progress of these experiments"

"What's the last entry dated at?"

"Two days ago, we must have just missed them"

I wandered the room, looking at all the books and notes scattered all over the desks. Just as I was turning around to go stand next Kakashi the faint smell of vinegar filled my nose. I stopped in my tracks and looked around. Where the hell did that come from? I took a step back and them forward again and the same smell flooded my nose again. I furrowed my brow in frustration, where the hell could this smell be coming from. I took one more step back and that's when I saw it. A lab coat laid on the floor next to the desk. I bent down and picked up the coat, it smelled like vinegar and booze, it smelled like Renji.

"You got something?" Kakashi asked looking over my shoulder

"Yeah, it's a lab coat. I think it's Renji's"

"Are you sure?"

"Yeah, I'll never forget how bitter he smells"

Kakashi summoned his ninja hounds and they all sniffed at the coat before scattering in all directions in search of Renji. I left the coat on the floor where I found it and followed Kakashi out the door and back into the woods.

"I saw a creek a few miles back, we should rest up there while my hounds are out searching"

I didn't say anything, just nodded. I knew that if I spoke he would be able to hear the anger in me. I couldn't help but be angry, if I would have killed him when we first tracked him down no one else would be dead right now. I followed him aimlessly through the woods until we reached a small creek surrounded by thick trees. I took a seat against a rock and stretched my body out. It felt nice to sit down after all the traveling we've done today.