Preview

A small boy, only two years old, chased his younger sister around a small living room. They didn't even remember why they were chasing each other. But they enjoyed it. A young woman stood near a stove, watching the chicken sizzle. She carefully listened to the laughter and running of her son and daughter. After a while, the laughing turned into crying, and the running came to a halt. She hastily ran towards the sobbing, only to find her son on the floor and hugging his knees. The woman's daughter stood next to her brother, not knowing what to do. The woman knelt to her son to try and help him. He tried to explain what was wrong, but all he could make out between sobbing and sniffling was, "Monster".

She sat there, trying to make sense of what he met by "monster". This wasn't the first time he's talked of the monster in mommy's room. The woman became so lost in thought, she didn't even realize that her back felt hot. It wasn't until her daughter said, "Mommy?" that she realized the chicken was on the stove too long. As soon as she turned around, she met with a hallway engulfed in flames, slowly reaching out to her and her children.

But she had only just put the chicken on the stove. Her son had stopped crying and was now clinging onto his mom's arm. She didn't know what to do. As the flames reached the laundry room and bleach, her last thoughts were, "I love you, Roxy..."

"I love you, Samuel..."

"Hey, Kiddo, you ready?"

"In a minute, dad."

"Okay, well, be down soon."

"Alright."

The young boy tightened his tie and flattened out his dark navy jacket. Looking in the mirror, he examined the eggplant-colored bags under his sage green eyes. He hadn't slept well in eleven years. He never will, never again. He can still see their faces. Burnt, charred, reduced to ash, scared.

"Samuel, come on!"

"C-Coming, dad!"

This is the story of Samuel Nancy.